rear brake questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question but it's not for a gmt400 truck but a 04 Silverado. My truck has disc brakes in the rear and want to know if I can take the drum setup off a 05 and fit it to the 04 rear ?
thanks

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well then...thats a stupid answer to give to people you are trying to get help from.. we are curious too your thought process.. they both have there own ups and downs.. but...I myself and probably 99% of us here have never seen anyone WANT to go from disc to drum on purpose.

But non the less... here we go.

Going disc to drum in 04/05..
Physically.. those year axles where available with both options. The backing plates are just a 4 bolt flange. So, will they physically exchange axle to axle?? The answer is, YES, but with monetary challenges...
Gotta get a new master, new rear hard lines on the axle(between the rear hose and the wheel cylinders), and all the drum brake junk or course. that's the easy less expensive part of the supposed swap.
The big money challange.. The 04 and 05 have abs. Disc and drum abs units are differant so that whole unit has to be changed and reprogrammed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well. I don't like discs. And want to go to a drum set up. And I thought the easiest way to do so. Would be to use stock stuff from the 05 to 07. Sense the 99 to 07 is basically the same truck.
yeah the proportional valve will need to be changed. And I have the ABS system deleted.

Thanks for the info.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
why exactly dont you like disks? Did they look at you wrong at the bar a few years ago or kick your dog when you were at work one day or something?

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless it's a full race car I don't see the point of rear discs. The calibers size the roters rust and so on.
we never change did any thing on my dad's 05 rear drums and everything is still good. But on my nephews 03 truck.
I caged numerous stuck calipers. And pitted and rusted rotors.