Rear Axle Tube - Bearing Surface

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm installing new rear axle bearings and seals. 14 bolt, semi-float. The axle shaft housing looks to be a bit scored.

I've lightly emery clothed the burrs and score marks out without going too crazy.

I am seeing two ridges. One for where the bearing recess ends (inside edge) and another near the front edge of the bearing. The later looks to be scored worse.

1. Are the ridge marks correct?

2. Is the scoring problematic?

3. Can i proceed as is?

See before and after (emery cloth) pics.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been into a 14 bolt, but from the axles I've been into, it looks okay. That second ridge stops the bearing race where it needs to seat. The first, outer ridge stops the axle seal where it should seat. If you've emory-clothed the nicks to where they don't stick out, you'll be fine. If the new seal has a bare metal shell, you can put a very thin film of RTV in that lip before you tap the seal in. You want just enough RTV to fill the nicks, but not enough that the seal can scrape it up and make globs as you tap it in. If the shell has a rubber outer coating, I wouldn't bother with RTV.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Bang that sumbitch in and roll. The bearing has it's own outer race and the marking I see in that housing are normal for a interference fit bearing like this. The axle shaft rides on the bearing surface and that's where you need to be careful.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks fella's. Exactly the answers i was hoping for.

I brought Delco rubber seals. Was toying with the idea of applying a very very thin bead of RTV to fill in any minor imperfections. I won't bother any more and slam 'em in there!

Timken bearings, made in the US (apparently). We will see how it goes.