rear axle questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wasn't it 9.5" ring gear but with 8.5" sized externals? Like wimpier axle shafts and outer bearings?
I think I tagged you on the measurements of the shaft diameter measurements when I got into that axle from my truck build thread? I don't recall what they were off the top of my head, but they are much larger than a 8.5/8.6". I got some 2500HD leaf springs to swap also(those came standard with the 10.5") and the top & bottom U bolt plates. I did a dry fit and it seems like it will work on it the axle I'm working on...so I "think" axle tubes are in the ballpark...

Edit: shafts measured 1.375" at the thinner part and 1.562" at the thicker part.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think I tagged you on the measurements of the shaft diameter measurements when I got into that axle from my truck build thread? I don't recall what they were off the top of my head, but they are much larger than a 8.5/8.6". I got some 2500HD leaf springs to swap also(those came standard with the 10.5") and the top & bottom U bolt plates. I did a dry fit and it seems like it will work on it the axle I'm working on...so I "think" axle tubes are in the ballpark...

Edit: shafts measured 1.375" at the thinner part and 1.562" at the thicker part.

I'm not sure, I just recall that these points came up in another thread as that was the first I'd heard of it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing to remember with RPO codes. It is a generalized description of that option/ build code. It is not a standard basket of part/ parts. For that you need to research the RPO for that given year for the parts/ part numbers that year which contained those parts.
Some RPO descriptions are specific, but most are generally basic. And depending on what the engineers added that year determined the exact definition for that year. Good luck.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I measured the u joint saddles on both my old 9.5 and my "new" 10.5 and they seem the same diameter as precise as it gets- almost 1 3/16.
does it mean my 9.5 has the 1350 u-joint? or could it be that it has what they call "1330 big cap"?
gm parts diagram as always just makes me confused.

Last edited: