Rear axle question - G80, 4:10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eaton G80 Gov-Loc
The Eaton (eaton.com) G80, also known as the Gov-Loc is a true automatic locker, not a limited-slip differential. It has been an available option on GM trucks for decades. The unit automatically engages when the speed difference between the two tires on the same axle reaches 100 rpm. In a stock application, the operation is a little jerky. However, in an abusive or lifted application with bigger tires, the Gov-Loc often explodes as it engages.

source: https://www.fourwheeler.com/product...s-of-different-differentials-making-traction/

Now, everyone that complains about G80 exploding is usually on huge tires and running a 10 bolt. 14 bolt G80 seems to hold up better. Not sure if they are even the same unit?

I've used my 10 bolt G80 2WD to get out of some pretty bad traction problems. I actually didn't even know I had it until my mechanic was changing an axle, LOL.

I'll take a G80 over any "modern" limited slip truck that relies on braking for traction with open diff.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a wheel bearing. I had a 97 k2500HD, had a noise similar to yours, turned out to be a wheel bearing. Or could be a u-joint going bad.