Rear axle off centre

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all-my rear axle is off centre towards the passenger side. I's say it's around an inch. Initially I thought the shackle bushings are to blame but recent change did not rectify the issue. On the pictures you can see that right side tread is going beyond the mud flap but on the left it completly behind it.So my question is-does the axle have centre pins that adjusts it to the springs? Anybody else has or had such problem? How to rectify it?
I've read online there was issues with thus on later Colorados but I found nothing on OBS.
My rear end is 3.73 10 bolt-it's 99 tahoe z71. Btw it's not that rusty underneath anymore-old pictures just to show the leaf type and dif.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

99bluetahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1999 2 door tahoe has been off since new. Sticks out more on the drivers side. The axle is about 3/8" off center from the body. I have seen other 99 tahoes with similar issues and plenty of suburbans. I had brought it to the attention of my dealer back in 2000 but they claimed they are all like that. My brother's 1996 2 door tahoe does not have this problem. The axle measure out fine so thats not the problem. I have it on stands and I and lifting the tahoe back to stock height. I am hoping I can figure out what is going on and can correct it easily.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
A center pin that needs replacing. Rounded shoulders. A wack of rust in there that's gotta go, too.
GM still sells the pins. Cheap.
Do not re-use the U-bolts nor the nuts. They're torque-to-yield.
One time usage only.
Check that bottom plate too. A known poor design. They fill with dirt, hold water & then rust out. This will also cause the U-bolts to rust out where they meet those lower plates. Because of the design of those, that cupped shape, rusted U-bolts are not always apparent.
Even if this doesn't turn out to be the problem, with the age of these trucks now, it's just good preventative maintenance.
There's been more than a few pix posted here over the years that have shown the catastrophic results due to the failure of any one of, or combination of those pins, U-bolts &/or lower plates.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A center pin that needs replacing. Rounded shoulders. A wack of rust in there that's gotta go, too.
GM still sells the pins. Cheap.
Do not re-use the U-bolts nor the nuts. They're torque-to-yield.
One time usage only.
Check that bottom plate too. A known poor design. They fill with dirt, hold water & then rust out. This will also cause the U-bolts to rust out where they meet those lower plates. Because of the design of those, that cupped shape, rusted U-bolts are not always apparent.
Even if this doesn't turn out to be the problem, with the age of these trucks now, it's just good preventative maintenance.
There's been more than a few pix posted here over the years that have shown the catastrophic results due to the failure of any one of, or combination of those pins, U-bolts &/or lower plates.

That's very informative-thanks for it. You wouldn't have a link for those pins?