Rear 4x6 speaker install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks on the 2 and 3 way thing. That's a good piece of info to know lol. Superdave... Did you do all four with those and also do you have an amp or aftermarket hu? Thered95... What kind of speakers and what size do you suggest? Sorry for taking over your thread jayson.

i run rockford fosgate 6.75 t2 components in the doors with tweeters custom mounted in stock location(aimed better) off a rf punch 400-2 amp. single 10 under back seat off a 300-1 and rear speakers unhooked it sounds amazing after a few hours of tuning after breaking everything in. the whole truck is also sound deadened. that is the setup i would recommend. or the kicker ks components. i have done a few installs with them and they sound good

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
yes i know you will get really no bass. but its better then stock anyday, but you see i listen to country music not terrible techno same beat over and over or hearing about doing a line of coke in a b****** belly. so i like to hear the lyrics im not all about the bass

Ok seems like you got it covered

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't understand why anyone just unhooks the rears entirely. The holes are there, why not use them? Yeah they're not going to be as good as what you can fit in your doors but they're only there for filling in the rear soundstage. Also the two and three way comment earlier is inaccurate. All that means is that there are three drivers with the frequency range divided between them, or two. You're going to get the same range of sounds from both, two way speakers don't magically take out the mid-range or highs. Why would anyone buy such a thing? As an example:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236TDX692/MTX-TDX692.html?tp=91#details-tab

VS

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236TN693/MTX-TN693.html?tp=91#details-tab

Click on the "Details" tab. Same size speaker, same manufacturer, same price range. One is two way, one is three way. The frequency response ranges are close enough to consider them identical. When you factor in the sensitivity ratings, the two way is actually the better speaker on paper.

Last edited:

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't understand why anyone just unhooks the rears entirely. The holes are there, why not use them? Yeah they're not going to be as good as what you can fit in your doors but they're only there for filling in the rear soundstage.

sound stage, that is why. think of a concert, were is the band? in front of you not behind you. you could fade to front but then why put them in to begin with. just use the money you save and get a better set of fronts and you wont even know the rears are gone. the only time i use rear speakers are in crew cabs or suv's then i install un amped coax

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To each their own I suppose. In my RCLB I used some 4x6 to 4" round plate adapters and installed a decent set of DLS components in the rear. I agree with your opinion on sound stage in a home setup, but I really think I would miss that second set of tweeters in my truck. I would definitely know they were gone.