Really weird misfire issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dnytro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There wasn’t a manual, just a quick start guide. In searching, it looks like this one doesn’t show misfires.

There were 25 lines, as u scroll down it say 1/25, 2/25, etc. I tried to capture all 25 lines.
I don't know Innova.

Looks to me like there's 25 PID screens, and you're showing photos of three of them.

1 of 25
9 of 25
20 of 25

Where are all the other screens?

As a last resort...read the operator's manual?

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I'm gonna say pull ur cam sensor plug and the pcm plug that feeds it. Do a continuity test and wiggle the cam sensor end. Easier than diggin into harness. Plus the cam, maf, o2s and I think, may be wrong, trans is on that same 12v feed.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Manuals can be downloaded here for innova, seems like it would be able to show the misfire counts if it pulls all of that other data.

Dnytro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^^ I agree but It had one sentence mentioning misfire in all 108 pages of the manual and I can’t get it to actually show on the scanner itself. I’m still looking for something else but it could be user error I guess.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget it was blowing fuses. See OP's first post.

It's not evident when the fuse initially blew. It was noticed after the MAF was swapped (see first post), and it happened repeatedly for a while, until (coincidentally?) a larger fuse was used instead.

Maybe it's not blowing them now, but it blew them then, and such problems generally don't fix themselves.

There's an intermittent problem, somewhere, waiting to be found.

Maybe via some trial-and-error, OP can estimate when that fuse might have blown for the first time.

If that same fuse is removed now, what happens? Does the vehicle act-up the same way they did initially?

I won't try to create a complete diagnostic flow chart. It's late.

Let's see what OP and others say.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20221007_055145.jpg
    20221007_055145.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221007_055154.jpg
    20221007_055154.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 7

Dnytro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not sure what initially blew the fuse, but I put the 30amp bcuz I ran out of 20’s

Currently the truck runs good. Just trying to get the misfire counts bcuz maybe it’s still there but not enough to trigger a code.

It also has the old spider so I may change that soon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not sure what initially blew the fuse, but I put the 30amp bcuz I ran out of 20’s

Currently the truck runs good. Just trying to get the misfire counts bcuz maybe it’s still there but not enough to trigger a code.

It also has the old spider so I may change that soon
what amp does it say on the fuse box?
if it’s supposed to be 20A, not a good idea to up to 30A ....
you should “fix“ this ASAP.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Expanding on the above, if you put in a larger fuse to keep it from blowing then you risk damaging that circuit if the short still exists - melted wire, possible fire in the worst case.

To me, finding the source of the misfire is secondary to finding the cause of a blown fuse. I’d pop the correct fuse back in and see what it does.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expanding on the above, if you put in a larger fuse to keep it from blowing then you risk damaging that circuit if the short still exists - melted wire, possible fire in the worst case.

To me, finding the source of the misfire is secondary to finding the cause of a blown fuse. I’d pop the correct fuse back in and see what it does.

This ^^^

The 20A fuse should have never blown in normal service, as the circuit's fused with some margin.

The fact that the 30A fuse didn't blow suggests either:

- the problem is intermittent and coincidentally went away prior to installing the 30A fuse, or

- the problem isn't a "short", because the 30A fuse didn't blow; however, something is / was drawing more current than normal to blow the 20A fuse, and ought to be found and repaired; the problem may or may not be intermittent.

I would also pull the fuse out while the engine's running and see what happens. If it the powertrain then acts up just like it did for you originally, you might infer that the fuse's "blowing" is what caused the driveability problems you saw originally. In other words, the driveability problems are simply symptoms of the fuse being blown. Of course, the root cause has yet to be determined, but this experiment might give you some confidence that, once you find the reason the fuse blew, you'll have found the reason for the driveability problems you experienced on the road.

Multiple problems aren't likely to happen coincidentally. One or more of the codes you've found may not be related, and none of them may be indicative of a problem; they may have been CAUSED by whatever problem blew the fuse.

Last edited: