Read drum brake help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shmee1984

Reaction score
My truck did that on my 6 lug and although the backing plate was tight, the part at the bottom of the backing plate where the shoes seated in, which had 2 rivets holding it, were loose. I drilled them out and put bolts in with locktight and it has been fine for a couple years now. You shouldn't be able to easily move your shoes around with all the springs on, except a little on the wheel cylinder side.

Good idea, but it's a different system. There are no rivets Bolts holding the plate on are tight. Shoes are seated properly on the lands.

Shmee1984

Reaction score
FRICKIN FIXED!!!!! WOOO WHOOOOO!!!!. ok everyone. Figured that I better provide an update in case it can help anyone in the future. This is the first set if drum brakes that I've ever worked on, so It was definitely a learning experience. After getting both drums turned, they said that they weren't really bad. Just took a hair off of both.In the past, I thought that it was the drivers side giving me grief. I could take the tire and drum off, back off the adjuster, and the problem would go away... for a day or so. Once the adjuster worked it's way back, problem would persist. This morning i took a good hard look at the passenger side. I noticed that I had pretty defined grooves on the brake backing plate. Additionally, the parking brake lever was slightly bent to the point where it was dragging hard on the attached shoe. Bought a file and got rid if the grooves on the backing plate. I put the lever in a vice and gave it a tweak. Once reinstalled (after putting brake grease on the lands) the parking brake lever now isnt hung up on the shoe. I took extra care to adjust the adjustment so that the brake was just barely not dragging in the drum. Took Sweet Melissa (name of my truck) for a spin. Absolutely perfect braking now! Got her home, hopped out of the truck, and clicked my heels in the air. Havent been this happy in a long time..... after two years of losing sleep over this I'm ecstatic. Thanks everyone for the tips!!!

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Good job! Sounds like you could use a celebratory beer.