Re-build stock front suspension or go Tubular $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So in looking at going all tubular on the front end along with all new bushing, ball joints etc. it looks to be a cost somewhere around $1300-1500 + labor for the more high quality control arms VS just rebuilding whats there (stock) with all new bushings etc at a much lesser amount of $$$. Besides the obvious loss of weight in the tubular ones is it really worth it, Ive already got QA1 coilovers on it and although I do enter local shows it is not a show truck so to speak. I know its my decision alone to make but thought I would ask the gallery, especailly guys that have gone the expensive route already.
Thanks for your reply's
Bobby V

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
In your profile picture, your truck looks pretty low... can you even see the suspension? In the handling department, I'd think stock would be fine if it's not a track vehicle, but I'm a 4x4 guy.

If you just don't like the stamped upper arms, what about going to the 8-lug forged uppers? I think they swap right in, and look like they're tubular, but are actually solid. That would get you a strong control arm that looks a bit better, but is likely lower in cost than aftermarket.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks 454, after doing some research I find that for my needs Ill be better off just re-building the stock suspension on my truck so I think thats what Ill do, thanks again
Bobby V

WILWAXU

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I completely replaced everything in the front of my truck when I rebuilt it in 2018. I used new "chinese" stamped replacement control arms. All the steering components I went with AC Delco replacements. I've put ~25k miles on since, and I haven't regretted anything. The tubular stuff from Ridetech, QA1, and others are cool.. but it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I do like the idea of coilovers.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Typically the tubular arms are stronger not lighter like you would think. That info is from QA1 and several of the other companies. At least that is what they told me.

They are quite pretty though!

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in process on installing the ridetech coilover kit on my '96 stepside. I've only got the rear half installed, and truck is currently in paint. that said, I can confirm the tubular control arms are not lighter than stock stamped and may be heavier. I don't have any opinion on the kit yet, but I went with the tubular cntrl arms so there would be no issue with alignment; and supposed better steering/handling. we shall see.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...but if you boxed the stamped arms to get them to the same strength, they'd be far heavier than the tubular arms. If you're not racing, it's probably not worth it to do either. I just put new bushings in my factory arms and reinstalled. On a Lemons racer I'd box them and then take a hole saw to them. On a 'real racer' I'd buy tubular arms.