RCLB K2500, K3500 Differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Will dually calipers fit on a C3500 SRW? What’s the difference in the calipers?

Yes, but you'll want late GMT-600 van EDIT: 39.1mm thick rotors, and the pads to go along with them. The calipers have different pin bushings, and the pistons are larger.

I did this to my K3500, but of course didn't use 2wd van rotors, I just installed the 4x4 truck dually rotors without the bolt on spacers.

Edit: I also have the drw wheel cylinders for the rear, but have not installed them yet... they are also larger.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wonder if you could find the right rotors at the salvage yard..... those things are expensive. $60 from Rockauto for the Raybestos R-line.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1003779&cc=1383960&jsn=732&jsn=732

This swap has been done/talked about before.... the van guy has mentioned it, but I can't think of his username right now. He can probably give better specifics than I since he's 2wd like you.

Silvio Iacuone

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking for a frame for my SRW K3500 for a while and I still am. Here is what I have learned

An 8600 GVWR 2500 and SRW 3500 frame are the same. A SRW 3500 and DRW 3500 frame are different. No idea if this applies to 2WD trucks.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been looking for a frame for my SRW K3500 for a while and I still am. Here is what I have learned

An 8600 GVWR 2500 and SRW 3500 frame are the same. A SRW 3500 and DRW 3500 frame are different. No idea if this applies to 2WD trucks.

What year are you looking for? And what cab configuration?

I think on one of those sources listed on the begging of this thread the section properties for 2500 and 3500 are a bit different. For the same height of frame, the one with higher section properties has to be a bit thicker wall.

I don't know if that also applied to the later gmr400 trucks, as the source I mentioned is for early trucks. I think there's a factory manual floating around that may have this for later trucks though.

Also, the regular cab frame is a bit thinner than a crew cab frame. Extended cab frame is in between. That would not matter if you need an entire frame for swap, but may want to know if you are cutting/replacing parts of the frame.

And pretty sure the SRW and DRW frames are the same.

Silvio Iacuone

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year are you looking for? And what cab configuration?

I think on one of those sources listed on the begging of this thread the section properties for 2500 and 3500 are a bit different. For the same height of frame, the one with higher section properties has to be a bit thicker wall.

I don't know if that also applied to the later gmr400 trucks, as the source I mentioned is for early trucks. I think there's a factory manual floating around that may have this for later trucks though.

Also, the regular cab frame is a bit thinner than a crew cab frame. Extended cab frame is in between. That would not matter if you need an entire frame for swap, but may want to know if you are cutting/replacing parts of the frame.

And pretty sure the SRW and DRW frames are the same.

I believe DRW frames had the spring perch mounts in different spots. I am looking for a regular cab long bed K3500 4WD frame for my 1999. I have one candidate now but it is crusty and I would like to avoid going down that road

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I believe DRW frames had the spring perch mounts in different spots. I am looking for a regular cab long bed K3500 4WD frame for my 1999. I have one candidate now but it is crusty and I would like to avoid going down that road

I think you might be thinking of cab and chassis trucks. Those have narrower frame rails and different pickup points.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you might be thinking of cab and chassis trucks. Those have narrower frame rails and different pickup points.

Correct. The only difference I can think of is the DRW has those little brackets to receive the overload leaf spring.

I've thought about adding that overload leaf spring to my SRW. I just went to look at my frame and there are 4 bolt holes there for that bracket. So I think that's pretty conclusive that they are the same frames for both.

SPDMETL

Reaction score

Hey! Looks like we're on the hunt for the same item; I have had some finds on Partstree? and googling-it looks like the only good solution is to head south