Rawhide and The Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well, I have been talking about having a build/maintenance thread for the Burb, and now I have another 400....so here's one for both of em.
The Burb: '99 C1500, L31 5.7, stock for now, mostly original. We bought it in February 2013, to replace our first 99 Burb, which got wrecked and totalled in late November 2012. We actually looked at it, the weekend after the wreck, but Dad wanted to look at all the Houston area Burbs. So we did, and this one ended up being the best one for the money. $3000, which is what we finally got out of the insurance company for the wrecked one, after arguing with them and producing service records showing what we'd spent on it. Fuel pump and transmission for starters, in the prior six months....
The AC blower didn't work (probably the switch,but I haven't had a chance to get into it yet to check it, motor and resistor).
Otherwise,a fairly good truck, and it was only supposed to be the swap meet truck, since we had newer DDs for Mom and Dad. So it didn't have to be perfect....
It had a very intermittent no start issue,that made absolutely no sense. Replaced cap/rotor/plugs in 2013, just to get new ones there and know that shouldn't be the problem. New belt, tensioner and idler, just since the ones replaced were undoubtedly originals.
Now I know that it was the Passlock beginning to act up, thanks to this forum. That's the thing that got me here, and the knowledge and community here has kept me here (so y'all are stuck with me lol!). But we were not driving it much at all, till 2016 when dad's truck started having problems.

Attachments

• IMG_20220715_163932.jpg
    IMG_20220715_163932.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220711_203502.jpg
    IMG_20220711_203502.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 37

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
So then the Burb got pressed into service from time to time. Then those times got more frequent,as the newer cars got older and broke stuff. Then they both went down,and the Burb became the daily....
April 2018, replaced the headlight assemblies,with Eagle Eyes ones, less than $75 for the pair from a crash parts wholesaler in Houston. Bulbs and all!
In September 2018, Mom and I were going to work,and sitting at a light, when smoke starts to come out of the right front wheelwell. Turned out that the brake hose had collapsed internally,and locked the caliper up. So I bought and replaced the calipers,hoses and pads. Then once I got into the job, discovered the upper ball joints were toast. So I beat them out and replaced them too. They were so bad, I had worn out front tires on the edge,in six months....
Mid October 2018, had it back together, new tires, alignment, drove it to Lafayette, Louisiana and back, to a car show,loaded and hauling a small trailer. No issues at all, a great feeling!
November 2018, replaced the multi function switch, January 2019 I replaced the water pump and bypass hoses, and changed to worm gear clamps. Had replaced the upper hose in March 2018, radiator in April 2018, and lower hose in December 2018. February 2019, replaced water pump again, warrantied at O'Reilly's. Replaced O2 sensors a few times.... typical Vortec 5.7 stuff.
The crease in the quarter panel was done by a lawn care trailer that got just a bit too close. Broke the taillight lens and knocked the driver's side mirror glass out too.....

Attachments

• IMG_20220705_105216.jpg
    IMG_20220705_105216.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
So... it's 2022 now, and the ol Burb has been going and going,most of the time. Nothing super major, but a couple of transmission shift linkage fell out of the bracket ( halfway across town from home of course!)and the curbing incident in December 2020 that made me use up all my spare aluminum wheels. Considering it gets flogged on Houston roads on a daily basis, not too bad, and more than most vehicles could handle.
But the AC still doesn't work...and I haven't had the means to get that fixed. And I've been learning about 400 series pickups,and looking at y'all's build threads, and I've decided,that, when I have money, I want a 400 pickup. But not just any pickup; I'm picky....
So, fast forward to this past Wednesday morning. @HeavyAsAChevy had posted this clean looking crew cab on the "stuff that catches my eye"thread, and I saw it right after he posted it. In a Whataburger, eating breakfast, how Texan....

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The more I looked at it, the more I liked it. Called the number, it's his late grandad's truck, only 119K on it, 350 and not big block or diesel, hasn't been driven much in the last several years. Pics show a real nice interior, paint on hood and roof is faded, but it's a good example of a farm truck.
So I have conference with Mom and brother, about "we should probably get this one, now how do we come up w/ the $$$?" $4900 and he'll deliver it to Houston for $50.
So we spent Thursday getting $$ from various cookie jars and the money I'd been saving for "truck fund" or emergencies, from the big hot rod show in April. The grandson delivered the truck on Friday afternoon, and we drove it some then(to get gas) and a bunch yesterday. No problems,other than the AC probably needs a little more charge,and it idles rough like it just cannot stand! to be stuck at a traffic light. I've put a can of Berrymans B12 Chemtool in the tank, to help clean the bad gas, and bought a fuel filter.
Going out this morning,to put the fuel filter on at my shop building in the suburbs (where I used to live) and....the hydro boost seals pick that point in time to blow. So we got to wrestle it back in the park with no power steering; a friend is towing it to the shop in Stafford in the morning.
I really hate that it did this, because this truck has grown on us in a short time. But better here,than on the road....
The name comes from the paint color, according to the VIN decoding that @Caman96 sent me, that's the color name. Looks almost like a honey gold, probably look good if I washed and buffed it....
Gotta get it sorted out first. My family and I need AC....
Oh and when we were going to the Kroger gas station Friday, got to intimidate a Tesla! He was trying to get in a space and couldn't get past us, and had to keep backing up till we got this big fella by. Trust me, it was hilarious!

Attachments

• IMG_20220716_154430.jpg
    IMG_20220716_154430.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20220715_163948.jpg
    IMG_20220715_163948.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220715_165740.jpg
    IMG_20220715_165740.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220716_154430~2.jpg
    IMG_20220716_154430~2.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 28

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More-doors....it ain't big, it's Texas sized!
Really happy to see someone here get this truck. I’d have tried to get it, but I just got my car fixed and I’d have to convince my dad to sell it then buy another old vehicle. And a huge one at that!!!! I’ll definitely keeps tabs on this.

My dad complains about me always surfing Craigslist, it finally did some good!