Rattling speaker grills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1992 Blazer with the 4x6's in the dash, all the attachment points are broken so they just set in place. When music plays they rattle like crazy, the only replacements are at LMC and I can't see paying the lmc tax plus having to paint it. Anybody got any tricks to get them settled in place, or a good place to find cheap replacements?

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devcon Plastic Welder 2-part glue will let you set the clips back into place over the broken plastic welds and secure them again.

Richard

So glue a piece of plastic in place of the clip? Do you happen to have a diagram or even just a picture of the original piece so I can get an idea what I need to make?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Thanks to SOG I have an idea of what to use to fix my grilles in the future. However, what worked for me is that I've still got one tab which works on each so I put those little felt stickies down on the dash side right where the hooks of the grille are supposed to bite in. No rattles.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That'd be great if I had that much, but mine came with none lol

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have any similar random plastic about that size you can cut a similar sized piece and JB Weld will hold it to the back of the speaker grill, then use whatever to pad it on the dashboard side.

I made a clip for my fuse panel door for the same reason. I didn't want to pay LMC price for an easily breakable new fuse door. I made the replacement tab out of a piece of trim scrap and glued it right on. It works great, I was in that fuse panel today and admiring it. It ought to work the same way for the speaker grills.

Another good trick on the grills if you have a tab left is to coat it with a hot glue gun. That dampens the rattle nicely. EDIT I don't mean gluing the grill into the dash, let the glue dry and the gummy consistency of the glue does a good job of padding the rattle.

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So glue a piece of plastic in place of the clip? Do you happen to have a diagram or even just a picture of the original piece so I can get an idea what I need to make?
No.. glue the clips back onto the grilles. If your clips are missing just go get some more grilles from the boneyard. They'll probably be broken off too, or the wrong color, but it sounds like you just need some clips you can re-attach.

Richard

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No.. glue the clips back onto the grilles. If your clips are missing just go get some more grilles from the boneyard. They'll probably be broken off too, or the wrong color, but it sounds like you just need some clips you can re-attach.

Richard

Yeah the truck's 30 years old lol, if I had the clips I could have just glued them on. I'm looking for replacement ideas. I added window insulation foam to the bottom though and that helped a lot, they're still just sitting there but not plastic on plastic now.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the truck's 30 years old lol, if I had the clips I could have just glued them on. I'm looking for replacement ideas. I added window insulation foam to the bottom though and that helped a lot, they're still just sitting there but not plastic on plastic now.

Maybe I misunderstood I thought the tabs were broken off, but apparently you had the clip in the dash broken too. If that is the case the hot glue trick in a few places might cut down on any remaining rattle.