Range Rover Classic - Two Door Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My other project is a 2-door Range Rover with a diesel engine and 5-speed transmission.

You must be registered for see images attach

I bought this spec because it didn't have all the issues that the fancy US spec version has. And because it would be easier to LS swap after the diesel dies (which is has).

US spec has leather that shreds to pieces - mine is hard wearing cloth
US spec has an auto that fails - mine is a 5-speed standard with no issues
US spec has a sunroof that leaks - mine is a hardtop, and there are still some leaks!
US spec has computerized electric memory seats - mine are manual
US spec has four doors and the seatbelt is too far forward - mine is two door and with the seat all the way back the belt is still safe
US spec has fuel injection - mine is mechanical diesel injection
US spec has the most problematic V8 invented - mine has an Italian diesel with even more problems!
US spec has ABS and Traction Control that fails - mine has neither, we die like men.

New suspension and tires

Anyway, I lifted it a little and installed a set of taller tires. And after a year of use the diesel overheated for the last time and I've stuck it in the warehouse waiting it's turn. I've bought a better version of the 5-speed transmission and had it upgraded with all the heavy duty tricks by Ashcroft in the UK. And I've had a similar HD transfer case built for it by Ashcroft. I've got an aluminum L33 engine to swap in, along with all the supporting parts.

The new engine.

The old and busted diesel. Note all the residue spewed out of the overflow tank.

Last edited:

JohnDenver

Reaction score
Very cool! I’ve always wanted to get a Range Rover Classic. Yours sounds like an awesome configuration, even if the diesel engine isn’t as great as some. And it’s still left hand drive! Do you know where it was originally sold? I assume British would be RHD.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Is the diesel one of those Motori Italian ones with separate cylinder heads for each cylinder? I read David Tracy's story on the European Chrysler minivan he has, that had one of those and a manual transmission. Very weird but interesting!

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the diesel one of those Motori Italian ones with separate cylinder heads for each cylinder? I read David Tracy's story on the European Chrysler minivan he has, that had one of those and a manual transmission. Very weird but interesting!
Correct. It's one of the VM Motori engines. They are arguably better than the early Rover diesels that people go nuts for. And they can be reliable. But the one in my Rover was beat up and worn out. It had been overheated a few times before I bought it. The cylinder walls were scored pretty hard. I contemplated rebuilding it, as it does made decent power and it is stock the the truck. But, I bought this specific truck knowing that it would be easier than other Rovers to LS swap it. So that's what I'm doing.

modernbeat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool. I've wanted one, but I have too many vehicles all ready. I didn't know there was issues with the V8 from that era.... it's the Buick derived engine, right? I know in LR Discovery 2 era there were bad castings.
Yes, it's the Buick engine that British Leyland bought from GM. They put it in all their upper echelon cars that were supposed to be powerful or fast. And the engine by itself tends to work well. But when you stack Rover fuel injection on top of it, or make it depend on a Rover cooling system, they become ticking time bombs.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Correct. It's one of the VM Motori engines. They are arguably better than the early Rover diesels that people go nuts for. And they can be reliable. But the one in my Rover was beat up and worn out. It had been overheated a few times before I bought it. The cylinder walls were scored pretty hard. I contemplated rebuilding it, as it does made decent power and it is stock the the truck. But, I bought this specific truck knowing that it would be easier than other Rovers to LS swap it. So that's what I'm doing.
I wondered.... I enjoy learning about all the different and various forms engines have been built in, and finding out the good,bad and ugly design and engineering things on them.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yes, it's the Buick engine that British Leyland bought from GM. They put it in all their upper echelon cars that were supposed to be powerful or fast. And the engine by itself tends to work well. But when you stack Rover fuel injection on top of it, or make it depend on a Rover cooling system, they become ticking time bombs.
Lucas electrics.....the curse of British vehicles!