Rally Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
i have heard the same too but have not personally tried it. if i can get my hands on some 15 rallys at a decent price i will. i see in your sig youve got 15s on your 96 do you have any clearance issues with those? how close are they to the caliper?
Yea if you come across some let me know how they fit.

Nope, didn't have to do anything to the caliper, they are close though. What helps with the aftermarket 15's is in the backspacing. Most of them had 3.75" BS to match up to the square body trucks. On these trucks, if the rim was any closer, I'd be hitting the lower ball joints, but thankfully they don't hit. A guy from college had 15x8's American Racing bullet holes on his 94 Chevy K1500 and he said didn't have to do any modifying either. I did however have to trim the valance, trim some of the plastic filler pieces below the front fender that goes against the bumper, and had to pound in the inner fender flip at the bottom, or else it'd rub with my mudflaps. Also had to crank the keys up a few turns. If I had 31x10.5's, I probably wouldn't have had an issue, but who wants to go smaller?? lol. One thing I hate about them is the increased frame beaming/bouncing. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but both this truck and my silver 97 did this when I put aftermarket wheels on it.

They are some old 90's Progressive wheels, got them for $120 on Marketplace, which I thought was one helluva deal, considering they look almost new after I polished them with a wool pad. Got some 32x11.5 KO2's at Fleet Farm a few weeks ago while they had their "Buy 3 Get the 4th Free" sale. I was hoping these tires would actually be 32's, but they are more like 31.5, so no different than a 265/75r16, but the added 1" width makes up for it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's how far most 15's usually sit on these trucks.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those are the 16" steel wheels that the 4wd and light duty 2500 got, and diesel models weren't available with aluminum wheels.

Likely because the diesels were heavy half tons with a 4400# (or 4600?) rear axle weight rating and the aluminum wheels were only good to 2000# each. I had square body rally wheels on my 88 C1500 and they were great, wider than the lame o wheels the truck came with.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Likely because the diesels were heavy half tons with a 4400# (or 4600?) rear axle weight rating and the aluminum wheels were only good to 2000# each. I had square body rally wheels on my 88 C1500 and they were great, wider than the lame o wheels the truck came with.
That's why there's 2 different types of N90 5 lug aluminum wheels. The early type that has 5 spokes, the dishes center and the black plastic center cap( my personal nickname for these is Lone Star)was used on the half ton pickups. When they came out with the 400 SUVs in '92, these didn't have enough weight rating for the heavier trucks. So that's where the second type ( the 10 spoke like my Burb has, like most Burbs, Tahoes and Yukons got ) comes in. 92-94 have the center cap with the exposed lug nuts, and 95 up have the smoothie one.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's why there's 2 different types of N90 5 lug aluminum wheels. The early type that has 5 spokes, the dishes center and the black plastic center cap( my personal nickname for these is Lone Star)was used on the half ton pickups. When they came out with the 400 SUVs in '92, these didn't have enough weight rating for the heavier trucks. So that's where the second type ( the 10 spoke like my Burb has, like most Burbs, Tahoes and Yukons got ) comes in. 92-94 have the center cap with the exposed lug nuts, and 95 up have the smoothie one.

The Burbs conveniently are rated at 4000# out back with the non heavy halfs coming in at 3600#.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
All that glass and the roof.... I've been told it adds a thousand pounds to the truck.

JS45

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok enough on the rally. I have determined I’m not in love with the 16” rally as much as I thought.

The wheel is very narrow looking, the center buldge around which the center cap clips sticks out so close to the wheel edge and the caps themselves look like they stick out farther than the wheel has me turned off a little. I just am not loving it as much as I was a few weeks ago. I love the square 15” rally’s everything about them but our 400 trucks need a wheel with more backspacing to retain a more factory look.

I love my ‘Rado but have the feeling of wanting to change something. I really like the 6 spoke 4x4 wheels on the early trucks. Thoughts, opinions, and pictures of such would be awesome. I haven’t been able to find too many picture of these wheels except for the sales ads. Also it’s hard to find the center caps for sale. What’s y’all thoughts

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ok enough on the rally. I have determined I’m not in love with the 16” rally as much as I thought.

The wheel is very narrow looking, the center buldge around which the center cap clips sticks out so close to the wheel edge and the caps themselves look like they stick out farther than the wheel has me turned off a little. I just am not loving it as much as I was a few weeks ago. I love the square 15” rally’s everything about them but our 400 trucks need a wheel with more backspacing to retain a more factory look.

I love my ‘Rado but have the feeling of wanting to change something. I really like the 6 spoke 4x4 wheels on the early trucks. Thoughts, opinions, and pictures of such would be awesome. I haven’t been able to find too many picture of these wheels except for the sales ads. Also it’s hard to find the center caps for sale. What’s y’all thoughts
Those wheels also take a lug nut cap that is hard to find, if you want to run the original setup. They are smooth down the sides past the hex head, a cylinder shape with no "ledge" like the more common ones have (which retains the center cap on those wheels, whereas on the 6 spoke 4x4 wheel you mention, the center cap is much smaller and independent of the lug caps.) As far as I can tell, LMC doesn't have the lug caps needed for these wheels. I believe these wheels in particular were only 1988-1991 GMT400 4x4's.. the lug caps may have been used on other models like similar-era S10 4x4's as they had a wheel with a design a lot like these.

Richard