Rag joint questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an 88 light duty K2500 with just over 50,000 original miles. Previous owner had cranked the hell out of the torsion bars. I set them back to factory Z-height spec. I also changed tire size from the 225/75/R16 it came with to 265/75/R16. I’ve been planning on having the front end aligned since the torsion bars have been moved. It drives perfectly down the road, but there’s a bit of slop in the wheel. I suspect the rag joint coupler since tie rods, idler arm and pitman arm are all tight.

How do I confirm a bad rag joint? Looks like I need to get the plastic sleeve off to see it. Does anybody have experience with replacing the rag joint with a GM OEM rag joint? If so, do you have a part number? I can’t find one anywhere. Even my GM parts catalog only shows the entire lower shaft, not the joint individually.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a video on what to look for. Yea, its on a Camaro, but that doesnt matter. They are all made the same way. Ebay has them, amazon has them, and so does your local auto parts store. Even a yahoo search for gm rag joint pulls them up.
You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I highly suggest getting a steering shaft from a jeep Cherokee. It's a popular swap for these trucks, and it fits perfectly. Gets rid of the rag joint, I've done it to my truck.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a video on what to look for. Yea, its on a Camaro, but that doesnt matter. They are all made the same way. Ebay has them, amazon has them, and so does your local auto parts store. Even a yahoo search for gm rag joint pulls them up.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thanks for the video. Looks really easy to check. As for a replacement, I’m wanting a GM/OEM. I can only find aftermarket.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the video. Looks really easy to check. As for a replacement, I’m wanting a GM/OEM. I can only find aftermarket.
IDK if your going to find GM OEM. I replaced mine in my C 1500 ECSB several years ago with one I got at Autozone. Its been good ever since, but mine was just the rubber coupler with the metal ends, not the complete unit as in what I posted. Its easy to remove from the steering box, and then removing the shaft from the steering rod. Then I did the replacement on my bench using my vice. IDK who much difference there is in a 1500 to a 2500. Here is a pic of mine shortly after I installed it. You can see that I had to cut the 2 bolts at an angle to allow clearance on the ones that bolt to the steering box coupler.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What I used was like this. As for the bolts, I didnt use what was in the kit. I used some grade 8 bolts, and like I said, I had to cut them at an angle to allow the center shaft to have clearance.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What I used was like this. As for the bolts, I didnt use what was in the kit. I used some grade 8 bolts, and like I said, I had to cut them at an angle to allow the center shaft to have clearance.

I figured out how to move the plastic sleeve back and take a look. There is absolutely zero slop in my joint. It must be either the steering gear or somewhere in the linkage. I’ll have to wait until I have a helper here to work the wheel while I’m looking underneath. Thanks for the helpful information.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the top joint, my rag joint was weak, but on closer inspection the top joint was broken and flopping around. I replaced it with a Jeep joint before I got the truck running.

The previous owner's level of deferred maintenance belied a life either oblivious to, or uncaring towards his limited margin of safety and self-preservation.