Rag Joint Delete??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS45

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you or anyone else used the cunningham one? Are these newer? Why dont i see anyone talk about the cunninghams at all? The borgesons are talked about but they say they were not supported for the later trucks but now they are? so confusing but what i do know is im tired of all the slop in the wheel.

for the ones with the u joint how much more road vibration do you get in the steering wheel compared to a new rag joint?

Last edited:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
There are a lot of people that run Jeremy's products(Cunningham) he makes good parts, is a small shop making parts that people actually want to use.

Reaction score
I replaced my rag joint with the Cunningham machine universal joint steering shaft. It’s made for the GMT400 and is a 1:1 swap with no need for extra fabrication / alteration. There is a small amount of road vibration that does come through in normal driving (which is so minor that my wife couldn’t tell the difference after the swap). When something is actually wrong (like a tire is out of balance), the vibration feedback is much more noticeable than with the rag joint, which is probably a good thing in that case.

The steering is much improved, though it didn’t solve all of my problems. Now I’m on to either tightening or replacing the steering box and the rest of the steering components.

ShannonTxBurb

Reaction score
I got the Borgeson 935 shaft. Their u joints have set screws to 'grip' the shaft on the steering box. The instructions say to file a flat spot on the splined shaft for the set screw. I'm slightly concerned about taking a grinder to a $500 new steering box shaft.

I see some commented they used the Borgeson. Any thoughts on how it installed? Tips or caveats?

noabarron3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the Borgeson 935 shaft. Their u joints have set screws to 'grip' the shaft on the steering box. The instructions say to file a flat spot on the splined shaft for the set screw. I'm slightly concerned about taking a grinder to a $500 new steering box shaft.

I see some commented they used the Borgeson. Any thoughts on how it installed? Tips or caveats?
I used the same borgeson shaft. I did not file a file a flat spot over the splines in case I had to warranty the box out, which I did and I would not have been able to if I filed. I have been running it that way for about a year now. I periodically check it and have had no issues. I tightened it enough to where it made a small divit to seat in to and that has worked perfectly fine.

darkdelta

Reaction score
Have you or anyone else used the cunningham one? Are these newer? Why dont i see anyone talk about the cunninghams at all? The borgesons are talked about but they say they were not supported for the later trucks but now they are? so confusing but what i do know is im tired of all the slop in the wheel.

for the ones with the u joint how much more road vibration do you get in the steering wheel compared to a new rag joint?
Late to the party as usual, but here goes.
I replaced my rag joint 27 January 2022 with the Cunningham on my 1998 C1500 WT. So it's early in the game for any significant history. However, so far, the road vibration appears to be no different than the OEM rag joint. But heck, for all I know that rag joint may be as stiff as steel after 27 years of use. That being said, it looks to be well made, and works well. Installation was easy once I did the following:
1. Used a Dremel* tool with a cut off disk to remove the over the shaft plastic shroud, I did this to gain access to the 11mm bolt. The shroud won't fit using the universal joint type.
2. Used a pry bar to move the lower shaft into the upper so removal is possible. I then removed the 15mm nut on the fender side of the fastener.
I did install the lower part of the shaft first and secured that using the grub nut an set screw (Nut is 12mm and the set screw is a 4mm hex screw. There is a spring steel clip on the upper shaft that's used to take up any free play. There's a flat spot on the shaft that locates the flat spring's home, mine became airborn when I separated the shafts, you don't want to let that get away from you. To get the upper shaft in it's yoke I had to use vice grip pliers on the upper shaft and tap the shaft into its home.

*(If you run the Dremel at a higher speed >10K RPMs, the plastic melts on the cut off disc and the disc becomes unusable)

Last edited:

JS45

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know I still haven’t done mine yet and was leaning towards replacing with another rag because I didn’t want to feel the road vibrations. Appreciate the insight and keep us posted on your experience good or bad please