Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I had looked into doing this, I came across something saying that the rag joint is safer in a collision. Just an fwi. I rebuilt the rag joints in both my trucks with a kit from Napa. They bot steer good.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had looked into doing this, I came across something saying that the rag joint is safer in a collision.

Perhaps that’s the case, but having disassembled / removed the rag, and installed the U-joint on two of my vehicles, it’s not evident as to why. Do tell.

I found it remarkable how much play was in the old rag. I put it in a vice and twisted it with a pipe wrench, and it took IMHO little effort to overcome the rubber coupling.

I am truly “sold” on an upgrade / replacement for old rags, whatever the solution might entail. For me, it was U-joints.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perhaps that’s the case, but having disassembled / removed the rag, and installed the U-joint on two of my vehicles, it’s not evident as to why. Do tell.
If I remember correctly, they made the case that in a front end collision you could get impailed by the steering shaft?

I wasn't completely sold on it, but also you are supposed to have a little bit of angle for universal joints, they are not intended to be in a straight line, weather that matters on a steering shaft that only turns back and forth, IDK?

Mine were both terrible when I did them. Had to drill the rivits out and put grade 8 ⅜ bolts and lock nuts in with new kit from Napa. I think it was less than $20 per truck, and both were a night and day difference. Who knows I might have to do it again in 20 years and yours will still be good?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, they made the case that in a front end collision you could get impailed by the steering shaft?

I thought the collapsible shafts were supposed to save us from a steering shaft through the heart. Both my trucks (1995 S10 Blazer - now sold- and 1998 Suburban) have the collapsible shafts, I can’t remember when GM starting making them that way :Insane:

I wasn't completely sold on it, but also you are supposed to have a little bit of angle for universal joints, they are not intended to be in a straight line, weather that matters on a steering shaft that only turns back and forth, IDK?

Good thought. Is the steering shaft actually in a straight line with the input shaft on the steering gear? IDK.

Mine were both terrible when I did them. Had to drill the rivits out and put grade 8 ⅜ bolts and lock nuts in with new kit from Napa. I think it was less than $20 per truck, and both were a night and day difference.

Mine a little different of course, as I had to remove the entire rag joint coupling from the shaft in preparation for the U-joint. After removing the shaft from the vehicle, I used pneumatic grinder to cut a kerf through the rag joint's coupling at the shaft, then pried it apart at the kerf to free it and remove it from the shaft... as I remember. Somebody will probably correct me. Installing the U-joint was straight-forward from that point on.

Who knows I might have to do it again in 20 years and yours will still be good?

My U-joint might be good in 20yrs, but by then I'm not sure *I* will be any good.

Last edited:

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the steering shaft actually in a straight line with the input shaft on the steering gear? IDK.
Where the rag joint is it's pretty straight

thought the collapsible shafts were supposed to save us from a steering shaft through the heart.
Your probably right on that. I personally didn't see how the rag joint could prevent it, but I'm not an engineer. Maybe it's supposed to break, but I don't think the rivits would, I doubt the grade 8 bolts would? IDK

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rag joint is to dampen vibration. And the steering shaft is 2 piece so it'll collapse so it don't go through your chest.

Besides that was more of a thing with solid steering shafts like my 51 the steering shaft is part of the gear box. But I'm not concerned about the column going through me. If I'm in a bad enough wreck for that then I'd probably be dead before it got to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220823_214335468.jpg
    IMG_20220823_214335468.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20220823_214413237.jpg
    IMG_20220823_214413237.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 37

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rag joint is for vibration, not safety. The collapsing function of the steering shaft keeps you from being impaled in a crash. Both the Cunningham and Jeep shafts use a double-D shaft that collapses.

For you guys who are building full-on race trucks, beware that a lot of the racing steering shafts being sold don't collapse, and there's no way I'd use one in any vehicle.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I remember seeing some welding them solid. That sounds like a terrible idea, and would make harder to install, let alone the safety issue.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rag joint is to dampen vibration. And the steering shaft is 2 piece so it'll collapse so it don't go through your chest.

Besides that was more of a thing with solid steering shafts like my 51 the steering shaft is part of the gear box. But I'm not concerned about the column going through me. If I'm in a bad enough wreck for that then I'd probably be dead before it got to me.
In 1990, I had a head-on at 55 in my 89 rcsb. Put my left hand up into the windshield with my lower teeth into the back of it. Right hand and chest folded the top of the steering wheel over and my right knee folded the transfer case shifter over while my foot on the brake bent the brake pedal to the left at 45*. Front bumper was a huge frowny face almost touching ground on both sides. The brand new frame mounted smittybuilt grill guard had to have helped. Rear lights blew out the lenses and bulbs, and the speedo was pegged at 55mph. Driver behind me said he saw the entire bottom of my truck straight up in the air. Had to push the door open a crack with my feet to slither out since the back of the engine was almost in the cab with me. No seat belt on, and no injuries except a busted up lower lip and a big round steering wheel shaped bruise for a few weeks. And a profound smell of antifreeze that still conjurs up memories to this day. Found out later that our trucks had scored 5 out of 5 in head on collisions, thank goodness. But I remember no steering shaft issue with the wreckage in the driveway, so I will assume that me not being impaled like a kabob was a design success for GM... bravo GM

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1990, I had a head-on at 55 in my 89 rcsb. Put my left hand up into the windshield with my lower teeth into the back of it. Right hand and chest folded the top of the steering wheel over and my right knee folded the transfer case shifter over while my foot on the brake bent the brake pedal to the left at 45*. Front bumper was a huge frowny face almost touching ground on both sides. The brand new frame mounted smittybuilt grill guard had to have helped. Rear lights blew out the lenses and bulbs, and the speedo was pegged at 55mph. Driver behind me said he saw the entire bottom of my truck straight up in the air. Had to push the door open a crack with my feet to slither out since the back of the engine was almost in the cab with me. No seat belt on, and no injuries except a busted up lower lip and a big round steering wheel shaped bruise for a few weeks. And a profound smell of antifreeze that still conjurs up memories to this day. Found out later that our trucks had scored 5 out of 5 in head on collisions, thank goodness. But I remember no steering shaft issue with the wreckage in the driveway, so I will assume that me not being impaled like a kabob was a design success for GM... bravo GM
That says alot for these truck. I had a 52 before this 51 and a kid turned in front of me while texting. And I was doing about 35mph, folded the steering wheel over and had the bruise on my chest, busted nose, and put a dent in the dash with my left knee