Radius arm/coil SAS stability problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I've been heavy thinking about coil springs. In theory it should ride smoother (get the spring rate right) and the little offroad it would do, it would excel vs leaf springs

The real factor in off road characteristics has nothing to do with leafs Vs COILS.
The difference is determined by how well the planning on the links were.
You can easily build a link system that out performs leafs.
But some systems bind sooner than others.
Radius arms being one of the quickest to do so.
A double triangulated fournlink has zero bind and would whoop ass off road. But is considered squirlly on the road at speeds. ( opinion of some not all)
There are a lot of factors.

Biggest one for me was plan for the best build. But remember there will be a LOT of compromise.
There is formulas for everything.
Axle
Side separation is a percentage of planned tire size. Frame side is 1/2 the separation of axle side.
You want to figure your link length as long as you can. But is recommended if mounts where your driveline does. It helps with the pivoting there.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
The real factor in off road characteristics has nothing to do with leafs Vs COILS.
The difference is determined by how well the planning on the links were.
You can easily build a link system that out performs leafs.
But some systems bind sooner than others.
Radius arms being one of the quickest to do so.
A double triangulated fournlink has zero bind and would whoop ass off road. But is considered squirlly on the road at speeds. ( opinion of some not all)
There are a lot of factors.

Biggest one for me was plan for the best build. But remember there will be a LOT of compromise.
There is formulas for everything.
Axle
Side separation is a percentage of planned tire size. Frame side is 1/2 the separation of axle side.
You want to figure your link length as long as you can. But is recommended if mounts where your driveline does. It helps with the pivoting there.

Thanks for the insight! Much appreciated. I’m planning on my truck being a mostly on road vehicle ( ocassionally yanking a tractor out the mud) do you thing radius arm despite being the quickest to bind would be the best for simplicity’s sake? Also a fab shop did one of these trucks with a huge lift on radius arms, I don’t have links to the thread but I have the pics.

Last edited:

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! Much appreciated. I’m planning on my truck being a mostly on road vehicle ( ocassionally yanking a tractor out the mud) do you thing radius arm despite being the quickest to bind would be the best for simplicity’s sake? Also a fab shop did one of these trucks with a huge lift on radius arms, I don’t have links to the thread but I have the pics.

For simplicity radius is hands down quick and easy.
And most people only run one side with the top arm...
so it would be like a “3” link if you know what I mean.

Two lowers
one upper
And of course the Pan hard

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also that’s a good build and for the 4wd frame coilovers work well on the outside of the frame.
for 2wd frames we have the bucket keeping it from being an easy choice.

That’s why I ended up going coils.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
Also that’s a good build and for the 4wd frame coilovers work well on the outside of the frame.
for 2wd frames we have the bucket keeping it from being an easy choice.

That’s why I ended up going coils.

Exactly why I'm doing coils as well. How did you clearance the front cross member for the pumpkin? or was the lift tall enough it wasn't an issue?

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Sorry for the delay

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
That's what it looks like. And yeah, it's for the steering and track bar. That's the same way Off Road Unlimited tells you to cut in there 2wd SAS kit .

Something along the lines of follow the weld line all the way across the cross member and cut the lower link mounts off.

I just wanted to see it done and know if there seems to be any I'll effects from doing so. But it doesn't seem like it .

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive got a 4 link calculator in excel if anyone wants to play around with it.