Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought the adaptors to remove the stock radio and cassette and install a regular radio, got a JVC bluetooth radio. It's so darn complicated I still haven't figured things out since I got it in November. Wasn't sure it was working right, seemed like EQ changed everytime I changed function and hard to get balanced side to side and front to back.

Sent an email to JVC and they said I needed to somehow do something with the red and white RCA fittings as relates to the amplifier. Is that the box under the driver's seat? And does any one know what they were talking about?

I hate this radio so much I'm looking at a USA-230 GMC radio with two knobs, but has some of the features of the JVC but much easier to operate, although may not drive 6 speakers, but that's ok.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it seems that the settings are changing every time you get in the truck, check your yellow wire on the radio harness (JVC side). It should be getting 12V constantly to maintain your radios settings memory.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you using the new radio through the stock or amplifier? I replaced my stock radio with Panasonic receiver + cd, using scoshe adapters. Without the amp it outputs plenty to drive all six.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found the problem, the JVC folks told me that their radio would have a difficult time hooking into the on-board amplifier as the unit isn't set up for it. And it apparently doesn't work well with the GMT 400 radio components. Every time I changed the function like from FM to Bluetooth it changed the EQ I had set, usually subtracting the bass. This thing is so complicated I have not been able to figure it out. Believe it or not they told me to sell the radio, wouldn't take it back. I'm looking at a 200 watt, GMC USA-230 Autosound radio for $209. Looks to be a lot easier to use, to set EQ, balance & fader and has two knobs!! Only drives four speakers though, that's ok, the speakers way in the back of the Burb are so far away that their sound arrives up front a second or two later. I've already got the adaptor for a knobby radio.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SOLVED IT! Junked the JVC and bought a Retrosound Santa Cruz radio (with Bluetooth) which locates the radio face where the stock face or controls is mounted. The radio motor (as they call it), or amplifier part I mounted where the tape player and EQ was located, I kept the single din adaptor plate and mounted my trans temp guage there. Got to find some other things to fill up the rest of the opening. Radio works great, still have some adjusting to do, still a little complicated for my old brain but a lot easier than the JVC. Much safer cause the controls (knobs) are right by the steering wheel so don't have to lean over to reach the single din radio. Also what's interesting is that it only drives 4 speakers (which is fine with me) and its the two rear-rear ones above the tailgate that work, more sound separation. Can't hear the ones in the rear doors cause we travel with the rear seats folded down and they block the speakers. Its all good.

Nwallis80

Reaction score
Bought the adaptors to remove the stock radio and cassette and install a regular radio, got a JVC bluetooth radio. It's so darn complicated I still haven't figured things out since I got it in November. Wasn't sure it was working right, seemed like EQ changed everytime I changed function and hard to get balanced side to side and front to back.

Sent an email to JVC and they said I needed to somehow do something with the red and white RCA fittings as relates to the amplifier. Is that the box under the driver's seat? And does any one know what they were talking about?

I hate this radio so much I'm looking at a USA-230 GMC radio with two knobs, but has some of the features of the JVC but much easier to operate, although may not drive 6 speakers, but that's ok.
I’m in the market for the stock radio, control module, cassette player and the center bezel for the cassette player. Are you looking to get rid of yours?

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, but the amp part was going bad (the part that's under the dash) started sounding awful. That's why I replaced it. Don't know of any bezel around the cassette player, just fits in there. Cassette and eq in good condition. As for the upper radio head I had to cut the wires to get it out of there, but I left enough to splice into wherever those wires went. Did take pictures of it. I kept everything so you should be able to get it to work. You pay the postage and I'll send it to you. Need your address. Looks like we're in neighboring states.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not in Lawrence Kansas, I'm in Blaine Washington. I haven't been able to change my location since I started on this forum. Lawrence is where I was born, so thinks that's where I am.