Radio resets when obd2 scanner is plugged in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agibson

Reaction score
Ok I have a 97 k3500 and every time I plug in my scanner and turn the key on the radio completely resets. I've never had this happen on any other vehicle I've use this scanner on. So I don't think it's the scanner. Is there something that connects the two besides the fuse box.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What brand scanner, bi-directional or codes only. When you say other vehicles, other GM , or a another 97 GM truck?
Have you tried a different scanner in your truck to narrow down to your truck or your scanner?
Auto parts store will do free scan for you.
Good luck.

Agibson

Reaction score
What brand scanner, bi-directional or codes only. When you say other vehicles, other GM , or a another 97 GM truck?
Have you tried a different scanner in your truck to narrow down to your truck or your scanner?
Auto parts store will do free scan for you.
Good luck.
It's bidirectional. I've used on other GM's, Jeeps, and even a Volvo does not happen on any other vehicle. I've also tried just a code reader something. I don't remember what brand it is. It's from Harbor Freight.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All I can offer is are there any service bulletins on unusual actions. Or dive into the wiring diagrams.

Hutton437

Reaction score
Im having the same exact issue on my 96. On the tail end of a 0411 swap. Built 388 stroker, multi port injected, factory harness and plugs for everything except injectors. Definitely chasing some gremlins. Not sure if this issue existed before or not. Along with this issue, im having weird IAC issues along with MAF codes 0102 and 0103. MAF is reading though.

Hutton437

Reaction score
Ok I have a 97 k3500 and every time I plug in my scanner and turn the key on the radio completely resets. I've never had this happen on any other vehicle I've use this scanner on. So I don't think it's the scanner. Is there something that connects the two besides the fuse box.
Have you been able to figure this out?