Radio is being stupid......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM never intended for the radios (or the trucks) to last 25 or 30 years. I expect that is one reason GM has never made a truck as good. Stuff like this will fail over time and should be thought of as part of the infamous "Two new truck payments a year in maintenance and it will run forever".

I personally like the middle of the dash conversion for a modern blue tooth radio that will also handle the phone hands free. That is such a safety item that in my opinion it is worth it but I also understand that some folks like the original look. I understand that a modern radio can be had that fits the factory slot, but it is very expensive.

In your case the DeOxit will likely do the job. I would not be surprised if your dash and column speakers are also pretty shot as mine were. Changing those will improve the sound greatly. Let us know how this comes out and good luck !

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I could try try the contact cleaner. Not much to loose there. Otherwise, it will be a while before I get to do much. I'm on seasonal layoff as of 12-11-2020. I have yet to receive any unemployment. @#$%$^%#&&^%* covid is screwing things up!!!! My employer graciously lets us continue with our health insurance at the rate we normally pay when working. Right now I have a $450 bill laying in front of me. Two months worth. Can't do anything until that is taken care of and the other monthly bills.

Such is life!

Ken

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could try try the contact cleaner. Not much to loose there. Otherwise, it will be a while before I get to do much. I'm on seasonal layoff as of 12-11-2020. I have yet to receive any unemployment. @#$%$^%#&&^%* covid is screwing things up!!!! My employer graciously lets us continue with our health insurance at the rate we normally pay when working. Right now I have a $450 bill laying in front of me. Two months worth. Can't do anything until that is taken care of and the other monthly bills.

Such is life!

I think you will find that the contact cleaner will work (get the real DeOxit) spray it from the front around the button and work the button and then spray again. It may take a little while to start working. Several small doses followed by working the control will work better than one big blast.
Sorry that things are tight but as you note the insurance is a good thing to keep up. When the bucks loosen up a little the 3 x 5 replacement speakers are very inexpensive at the box stores and far better than what came in the truck.

Good luck !

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
When the bucks loosen up a little the 3 x 5 replacement speakers are very inexpensive at the box stores and far better than what came in the truck. Good luck !

I have been wanting to replace the radio and speakers since I bought the truck. I know it's a little more expensive but Crutchfield has pretty good service when it comes to choosing components. Good instructions and extra needed "stuff" to get the job done. That is worth something I guess. Life happens and life goes on. You just have to roll with it!! Or go bat sh*t crazy as the case may be. o_O:)

Ken

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The center dash piece for a single DIN radio are available on the 'bay Best buy sometimes stocks the harness adapter as does Walmart and the 'bay.

I prefer the Kenwood radio but that is because I am familiar with it. Many like the Pioneer as well. I have nothing against Crutchfield but their prices are considerably higher than the options above.
Here is how mine turned out . It doesn't quite match color wise but it works well.

You must be registered for see images attach