Radiator repair.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Excess pressure can be caused by a defective radiator cap. Have the cap checked or get a radiator test kit, which includes an adapter to check cap relief pressure. Old caps don't fail as much as the cap seal gets old and or cracked and then does not hold correct pressure.
Remember having the correct cap pressure is what allows the high liquid boiling point along with coolant mix.
A TIG weld repair to the tank is a minor repair, not requiring deep grinding and v cut or notching as a structural steel penetration arc repair .
And you have checked the U shaped mounts, upper and lower not folded over the tank flanges sit flat and level. And the radiator is snug, doesn't wobble at all. The mounting plates, upper are holding straight up and down. Not applying any twisting or spreading pressure.
My dually cracked the upper inlet twice, found the long upper hose was bouncing moving to much. Upper should has small moulded are to guide hose but not held down. Placed a u shaped Adel clamp over it, and no more problem.
Good luck.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Excess pressure can be caused by a defective radiator cap. Have the cap checked or get a radiator test kit, which includes an adapter to check cap relief pressure. Old caps don't fail as much as the cap seal gets old and or cracked and then does not hold correct pressure.
Remember having the correct cap pressure is what allows the high liquid boiling point along with coolant mix.
A TIG weld repair to the tank is a minor repair, not requiring deep grinding and v cut or notching as a structural steel penetration arc repair .
And you have checked the U shaped mounts, upper and lower not folded over the tank flanges sit flat and level. And the radiator is snug, doesn't wobble at all. The mounting plates, upper are holding straight up and down. Not applying any twisting or spreading pressure.
My dually cracked the upper inlet twice, found the long upper hose was bouncing moving to much. Upper should has small moulded are to guide hose but not held down. Placed a u shaped Adel clamp over it, and no more problem.
Good luck.
Yes this bracket/brace comes off the alternator mounting bracket. Another thing that helps here is another layer of the plastic or rubber padding around this part of the upper hose. A wire tie, pulled just shy of tight, will help keep it in place. I did this on my Burb and it works great. Will do on the crew cab once it's time for cooling system service....

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So unfortunately I got really sick for a while and we needed to radiator. I ended up using some jb weld. I know it’s not ideal but I had to get it going down the road again. So far it is not leaking and hopefully it will atleast get me to spring then if it leaks I’ll deal with it then

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Your not the first person to do that. Just keep it on the back of your mind knowing that I will let go again. Its easier to fix stuff in the summer when things are running just fine that in an emergency in the winter.