Questions regarding lifting a 98 chevy 2wd long bed truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have a 1998 chevy c1500 silverado 2wd. Its extended cab long bed. So far I have everything to lift the front 7" and the rear 5". I'm wondering if the transmission crossmember and carrier bearing need dropped down? Any insight would be appreciated

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes lifting it will increase the driveline angle. Depending on how much lift you may be able to use lift blocks with a degree angle or shims or drop
Brackets for carrier. You may get away with little or no changes depending on the lift amount since you have a long bed it’s more forgiving than a short bed.

Reaction score
Im assuming your asking in regards to a pinion angle?
Yea if by lifting it up higher, will it affect the angle of the driveline at all or will it be fine up to a certain point? Cause I'm going to be installing 3" coil spacers, 4" lift spindles, lift upper control arms in the front. Then 3" blocks with 2" add a leaf in the rear. New lift shocks all around.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
it will, it kinda depends on how your truck will sit after the lift. from your description it seems that youll have a "cali lean" going on and with 5 inches over stock. I want to say you should be fine IIRC i didnt touch mine till i got about 6 inches till i started noticing some vibrations and I was eating U-joints more often. I should mention it kinda depends on how you drive it. I assume this is more of a road truck since its a 2wd I also cant account for the driveshaft length as I assume its longer in the 2wds. Worst case senario you burn up a U-joint prematurely and as someone else has stated they sell Tapered Lift blocks to rotate the pumpkin upwards slightly to help with that. The only concern there is axle wrap issues but I dont think youll be pushing 500+ HP on stickies or Rock bouncing so you should be ok.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea if by lifting it up higher, will it affect the angle of the driveline at all or will it be fine up to a certain point? Cause I'm going to be installing 3" coil spacers, 4" lift spindles, lift upper control arms in the front. Then 3" blocks with 2" add a leaf in the rear. New lift shocks all around.

Don’t use blocks and add a leafs man. Spend the money and buy lift sprigs. It’s not that much more and your axle will be a lot happier.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Regarding the carrier bearing... double check the frame. I'm not sure about the half ton, but on a 2wd 8-lug truck, the crossmember has a welded mount for the bearing, but its mounting surface is at a severe angle. 40°? 45°? Doesnt matter, it's not horizontal. If you put in a drop bracket for a 4x4, the 2 piece shaft will be shifted to the left and interfere with the fuel tank.
So double check the frame.
I have never seen an drop bracket for this design. Perhaps a quality lift company has a part number in their catalog?