Questions about 94 K1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
I'm soon to be replacing my 96 K1500 with a 94 K1500 that's in much better shape, but I want to keep as much of the functionality and familiarity of my 96 as possible so I had planned on transferring the entire interior to the 94 once I have it. This is mostly because I prefer the look of the newer dash, the 60/40 split seats over the solid bench, and want to keep features such as remote entry among others. I had also planned on swapping the 305 in my 96 with the 350 in the 94 because it's a bit newer and feels a lot more snappy than the 350 (planned on moving the tranny -4L60e- over with the 305).

My questions are pretty simple;
- Is it possible to keep most/all of the features from my 96 (which is rusted to he*l and back) specifically remote unlock
- Will the 305 and tranny direct fit into the 94 body or will I need to modify some things
- Is the older manual transfer case of the 94 plug-and-play compatible if at all with the newer 305 and tranny (which had an electronic transfer case)

Please let me know of anything else I should consider, know about or be concerned about moving forward. I'll be buying the 94 in about 6 to 8 weeks so I want to know if this is possible within practicality

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything is possible, but I believe you're getting into the realm of creating more work than you'll really want to do. The PCMs and wiring are completely different between the two trucks, as are the fuel injection systems. I also do not understand the logic of swapping a 350 out in favor of a 305, that's a lot of work for a big step backward in power. Regarding the keyless entry, it would be much easier (and probably cheaper) to just buy an aftermarket kit for the '94. Plus then you could have the added benefit of a remote start if you choose.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy but if I were you I'd leave the drivetrain and interior in the '94 alone for the most part, just change the seats if you like and add a keyless entry system.

94 Silverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the 94 nicer if you need to swap everything from the 96 into it? Find a 96-98 in better shape of you like the interior that much.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything is possible, but I believe you're getting into the realm of creating more work than you'll really want to do. The PCMs and wiring are completely different between the two trucks, as are the fuel injection systems. I also do not understand the logic of swapping a 350 out in favor of a 305, that's a lot of work for a big step backward in power. Regarding the keyless entry, it would be much easier (and probably cheaper) to just buy an aftermarket kit for the '94. Plus then you could have the added benefit of a remote start if you choose.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy but if I were you I'd leave the drivetrain and interior in the '94 alone for the most part, just change the seats if you like and add a keyless entry system.

Vortec 305 is not a step backwards to a TBI 350. It makes 20 hp more. The Vortec 305 has a broader powerband than the 350 TBI.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
How is the 94 nicer if you need to swap everything from the 96 into it? Find a 96-98 in better shape of you like the interior that much.

Reading is fundamental :D. He stated that the '96 body is rusted out and the 94 body is in better shape. He wants the '96 interior and drive train:shrug:

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Fair enough, but personally I wouldn't swap out a functional engine for a 20HP gain.

The reason I'd want to swap it out is because (1) I don't like the older 3 speed W/ overdrive tranny and (2) the throttle is really sluggish during slow acceleration so rather than fix the throttle response and mismatch it with the new tranny, it makes more sense to just move both over

edit: I wouldn't be wasting the 350 or anything. Would probably either rebuild it and sell it or keep it for a future build

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 305 has 20 more hp and about 70ft-lbs LESS torque. Sorry in a truck I’ll take the extra torque to get up and moving. I’m not saying the 305 is a bad engine, it isn’t. Makes ok power and reliable. But I wouldn’t ever take one over a 350 - stock vs stock.

What gears are in the differentials of each truck? I’d bet the 84 probably has 308’s and the 96 373’s. And that’s going to make a much larger difference on what’s “snappyier” than 20hp.