Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kinglouie82

Reaction score
I have a 97 obs with the v6 and I got a 5.3 for it and I'm a bit overwhelmed as too what I'll need to get it in and running I also want to do a cam and refresh the engine a bit. Being a v6 would I need to swap out the rear end as well?? I figured with the harness I would go with psi seems to be the easiest way not the cheapest FYI but I like the plug n play idea and it includes ecu from what I read I might be wrong. Well I appreciate the help in advance guys have a great day!

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Is your mechanical ability up to ***** for doing an LS swap? You need to do a ton of research, look into what parts others are running, you need the following for a "basic" v6-v8 swap and that is not the 4.3L to LS list. No, you won't need to swap your rear end out.

V8 frame side mounts
V8 engine side mounts and LS adapters(Dirty Dingo or ICT Billet)
Transmission Mount
ICT flexplate kit(will eliminate the spacer need)
Plug and Play harness(PSI in your case)
0411 ECM or 058 ECM(depending on year of donor vehicle)
TAC module(again depends on year of donor)
Fuel pump that supports your end goal(not your current)
V8 Radiator(34" wide)
Camshaft of your choosing
Valve Springs
Gasket kit(engine gasket kit from Fel-Pro)
A GOOD TUNE!!! (THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!)

There is a lot more to this list, but that is what I can think of off the top of my head. There is a ton of us doing LS swaps on the site, @Wh4t3v3rs, @0xDEADBEEF and myself to name a few, there are others. If i remember correctly @0xDEADBEEF went from v6 to LS

Kinglouie82

Reaction score
Man I love this group you guys are great! I think I have a 04 5.3 it was given to me for 100 bucks with trans I'll try n find out donor car. Yea I'm going to do my due diligence but I feel much more confident with this group for support. Yes I'm Mechanically inclined not so much in the electric dept. I'm going to start getting everything together and I'll be bugging you guys lol .

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be prepared to spend more time and money than you think. There's no single task that is really all that difficult.

So far, I'm having no issues with the V6 radiator (with the donor mechanical fan) or the rear axle. I used the Dirty Dingo mounts and the V8 frame mounts, the engine falls in like it was designed to be there and the crossmember didn't have to move or be modified.

Kinglouie82

Reaction score
Just be prepared to spend more time and money than you think. There's no single task that is really all that difficult.

So far, I'm having no issues with the V6 radiator (with the donor mechanical fan) or the rear axle. I used the Dirty Dingo mounts and the V8 frame mounts, the engine falls in like it was designed to be there and the crossmember didn't have to move or be modified.
Niiice man I would like to do an electric fan set up and bigger radiator. Just spoke to psi and it's 1400 for the complete set up to make the engine run. I don't know tho if my truck has a tachometer thought so that's another couple dollars there . I'm going to order those forgot mounts this afternoon thanks for the reply