Question: O2 cross counts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 95 K1500 automatic 5.7l. I get intermittent surging. I’ve checked lots of things and replaced lots. I just replaced my fuel pump as the deadhead check didn’t increase pressure but with the new pump it does. Still I get intermittent surging after a 30 minute or so hot soak. Now to the question, what is a typical O2 cross count reading? I’m typically showing 0 to 3 and a maximum of 6. I don’t know over what time
Period that is. My factory service manual says Over 1 second. If so that sounds reasonable but I think I’ve read it should be in double digits more like 18-20. Of courses I’m talkin closed loop. I will note that it takes it a pretty good while to get to closed loop. What is a typical cross count and where should I check for a poor ground? Anyone know?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will note that it takes it a pretty good while to get to closed loop
Do you have a 1-wire or 3-wire heated sensor? Typically the O2 sensor needs to get up to ~600* before it starts reading oxygen levels accurately plus your engine needs to warm up 1st. How old is your O2 sensor? They tend to get lazy with age. What are your INT and BLMs showing? Are you checking cross counts with it running at ~2000 RPM? If your O2 doesn't cross over .45V within 30 seconds, it'll throw codes 44 or 45. Otherwise, if everything is good, 3 - 20 is plenty good.

I'd be more interested in if my ICM and/or ignition coil is good. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, etc.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 used to show 6--7 to 20+.

I'd be concerned at 3, maximum 6. Replace it. The only question is whether to install a stock one-wire sensor, or to upgrade to a 3-wire sensor and aftermarket wire harness.

(Took me more than two decades, but I finally upgraded to a heated sensor on my '88)