Question about these housings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
So I bought these housing a few years ago with the intention of doing a HID setup, but have since abandoned the HID idea. This kit came with both headlamp, signal/park and the side marker housings. I am running the signal housings and really like how it looks, so I want to install the headlamps now.

Question is;
1) can I run LED in these housing, because from what I understand LEDs need special housings to project the beam correctly.
2) for now, I will most likely run halogen, so what would be a good way to take apart the housing to remove HID reflector(deflector?) Or should I leave it in for the LEDs?

The lens is glued/sealed to the housing with silicone or something similar. I imagine a heat gun may get it apart but not entirely sure.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1.) Correct. Drop in LEDs will put light in places it shouldn't be when used in a reflector housing designed for a halogen.

2.) I would leave that reflector over the low beams alone. That's actually a desirable feature that would allow you to run a 9012 HIR bulb in the low beams instead of the factory 9006. The 9012s don't have a painted tip like the 9006s do.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They look like some glass Spyder’s I have.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
1.) Correct. Drop in LEDs will put light in places it shouldn't be when used in a reflector housing designed for a halogen.

2.) I would leave that reflector over the low beams alone. That's actually a desirable feature that would allow you to run a 9012 HIR bulb in the low beams instead of the factory 9006. The 9012s don't have a painted tip like the 9006s do.
That reflector is actually for the high beams. If you look on the right side, you can see the adjustment pegs. And the writing on the bottom of the lense, so it's a right hand housing. Why would HID be in the high beam?
Unless this is a factory mistake
Edit: I'm stupid. I was looking at the housing for the right side thinking it was for the left..

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You already figured it out, but the low beam side is always a little bit wider than the high beam side, and as far as I know no composite halogen housings for these trucks ever put a reflector over the high beam bulb.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's some more info about modifying 9011/9012 HIR bulbs to fit in 9005/9006 sockets. It'll gain you some output while maintaining proper operation (HIRs have the filaments in the exact same location as standard halogens) and it's really simple to do. You just have to trim a little bit off of the top locating tabs on the HIR bulbs and they'll drop right in.

It's generally advised not to use the 9012s for the low beams in these trucks, as most housings lack the low beam reflector and 9012s don't have the painted bulb tip that the factory 9006s do. However since your housings have the low beam reflectors, you could use the 9012s without creating any extra glare or hot spots.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Beat me to it. Good set of housings to run HIR low beams in without attacking everyone's eyeballs with a direct hit of light from uncoated tip HIR's.

Richard