Question about correct front height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aball

Reaction score
The front end is about 2" lower than the rear from the factory.
I checked the height from wheel arches to the ground and it is almost identical front and back.
Is this measured with 50% gas tank? Does a full tank of gas make for a big difference in height?
Anyway, I guess I should consider to drop the front a bit.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cranking the keys down a little in the front will definitely improve your ride comfort. I'm not sure how much a full tank of gas effects ride height, but I'd imagine it would at least somewhat.

aball

Reaction score
I can remember when filling the tank while leaning on the car you could feel it sagging a bit...
Anyway, I will probably measure again with empty fuel tank and take the mean value to set it correctly.

Thanks for you input, much appreciated!

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Cranking the keys down a little in the front will definitely improve your ride comfort. I'm not sure how much a full tank of gas effects ride height, but I'd imagine it would at least somewhat.

Gasoline weighs 6.073 lbs. per gallon so, depending on how big the tank is and where it is mounted it will change the ride height to some extent.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gasoline weighs 6.073 lbs. per gallon so, depending on how big the tank is and where it is mounted it will change the ride height to some extent.

Now I'm curious. I may have to go measure my Suburban before and after a fill up. 42 gallons at 255lbs has got to drop it a little. I know it definitely rides better with a full tank.

aball

Reaction score
I reduced the front height by quite a bit, measures 1 3/4 inch lower than the back now. Gas tank is still at about 80%, will measure again when it becomes empty. Looks quite different, though.

View media item 31958

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After you get done dicking with ride height, don't forget to adjust/aim the headlights.

You lower the front end, you drop the headlight beam and you have crappy illumination at night. You raise the front end, you blind oncoming motorists.

aball

Reaction score
After you get done dicking with ride height, don't forget to adjust/aim the headlights.

You lower the front end, you drop the headlight beam and you have crappy illumination at night. You raise the front end, you blind oncoming motorists.
Sure, the aiming went down quite a bit. Thanks for the hint!
Unfortunately all adjusters of my headlights are stuck, so I will try to aim them a bit higher by using some shims on the mounting brackets. At the end I need new headlights anyway.