Question about changing from LT to P tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put LT tires on. I prefer Michelin LTX 10 ply only. Running 7 obs's with them . The p rated tire only has a 4 ply sidewall which tends to flex causing a hazardous condition. " DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON TIRES YOU WILL BE SORRY !!! "

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
P tires suck, even the XL ones. The wife's Envoy is an oddball size. I really wanted some load range C for it but all I saw was XL. I remember going from P to C on my old 1500 and it was much better with the LT tires.

vaquero

Reaction score
The only issue I am finding is find LT's in the tire size that I need, which is 275/55r20. I put on a set of Denali rims a few years ago but the tires were still in decent shape when I got them so I didn't pay attention to tire availability until now, and I can find a lot of all terrain 275/55r20 in 117T and XL load index/range (which is what is on there now), but not a whole lot of options for LT. Here is what I am mainly seeing:

I was hoping to replace the tires on there with Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus or Hankook Dynapro ATM, but finding them in LT275/55r20 is not easy.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys; I have a 1994 K1500 1/2 ton Z71 package, and the door sticker says that it came stock with LT tires. I was just wondering if I can replace them with P rated tires or if it is really necessary to get the LTs. I don't do any towing, and at most haul a yard of bark chips or gravel in the bed if working on yard project. I noticed that most newer 1/2 ton trucks come from the factory with P tires. Just need to know before I pull the trigger on some new tires. Thanks!
P rated tires have a less reinforced sidewall So off road they won’t be as good and puncture easier. That is what gives it a better ride. They also have a more street all weather type of tread pattern so they will be relatively worthless off road for anything past a dirt road.
Can you run p rated tires? Sure. i Daily drive a 4000 pound crown Vic. That weights as much as my 1989 GMC. I think each tire has a 1653 pound rating so 6612 pounds total can be carried on those Tires at max capacity. Actually the Crown Vic actually weighs a bit more at 4000 pounds as the truck weighs 3600. And I’m running 225/60/16 Michelins great tires. So far 60,000 miles and still,have about 20% tread. If yiu do any towing or carrying heavy stuff moving crap etc et the LT rates tires.