Question about changing from LT to P tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaquero

Reaction score
Hey guys; I have a 1994 K1500 1/2 ton Z71 package, and the door sticker says that it came stock with LT tires. I was just wondering if I can replace them with P rated tires or if it is really necessary to get the LTs. I don't do any towing, and at most haul a yard of bark chips or gravel in the bed if working on yard project. I noticed that most newer 1/2 ton trucks come from the factory with P tires. Just need to know before I pull the trigger on some new tires. Thanks!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't put P's on it.

I put P rated tires on my '97 K1500 Suburban that called for LTs on the sticker and it rode terribly, plus the tires always had a compressed look on the bottom like they didn't have enough air, even when they were inflated to the appropriate level. I put LTs back on it this time and am much happier with the results.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aren't P-rated tires for "P"assenger CARS?

Traditionally yes, although some of these trucks got them from the factory. My red C1500 calls for P rated tires on the sticker, but I run LTs on it now anyway. No complaints, and I have no plans to go back to Ps on it.

vaquero

Reaction score
Aren't P-rated tires for "P"assenger CARS?
Not necessarily. P stands for 'passenger' but the application often includes SUV's and light trucks. Which is why I am asking the question and wondering what other members are using with their z71s and 4x4s.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Traditionally yes, although some of these trucks got them from the factory. My red C1500 calls for P rated tires on the sticker, but I run LTs on it now anyway. No complaints, and I have no plans to go back to Ps on it.
Yup, same here. I ran P rated tires on my 1500 because that's what the sticker had. I had to move some brick once. I was pretty much on the payload limit, but dang, I felt like I was going to be seasick because of how the truck rolled. Now I run LTs. They do ride a but rougher, but I'll take it.

If you don't mind that OP, I see no harm. Just keep the gravel load to 1/2 yard.

vaquero

Reaction score
If I do go P rated I will make sure that the load index is 117 and load range is XL. I haven't had to haul gravel in the last few years since finishing up all our projects, now I just haul camping gear :)
Yup, same here. I ran P rated tires on my 1500 because that's what the sticker had. I had to move some brick once. I was pretty much on the payload limit, but dang, I felt like I was going to be seasick because of how the truck rolled. Now I run LTs. They do ride a but rougher, but I'll take it.

If you don't mind that OP, I see no harm. Just keep the gravel load to 1/2 yard.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, it's better to have them (LT's) and not need them, then need them and not have them. I have 10ply E rated tires on one of my trucks, and the couple times a year I haul or tow something I am glad I have them. I just bump the pressure up in them and it's a much more confident inspiring ride. Nothing worse than a blowout with a load on.