Putting A Chip In A TBI Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to GearHead-EFI.com Dave w is Old School EFI. There's others that "tune" also. You can join and post what you have and what you want to do. Or start a conversation with Dave...

RustyNM_92

Reaction score
Bighead38, did the chip cause the SES to turn on or give you an other codes you did not used to have? Can changing the chip cause this? I've head of code 51 on pre-94

Thanks,
Rusty

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bighead38, did the chip cause the CEL to turn on or give you an other codes you did not used to have? Can changing the chip cause this? I've head of code 51 on pre-94
@Bighead38 hasn't been seen here since Oct 17,2019 but, maybe I can help. If the chip is programmed correctly it shouldn't throw any SES codes. Sometimes someone will delete EGR (or something like that) in the .bin, but will neglect to disable the MALF Code for it. Then you will get an SES light. If you get code 51, you may not have installed the chip properly like, put it in backwards?

RustyNM_92

Reaction score
@Bighead38 hasn't been seen here since Oct 17,2019 but, maybe I can help. If the chip is programmed correctly it shouldn't throw any SES codes. Sometimes someone will delete EGR (or something like that) in the .bin, but will neglect to disable the MALF Code for it. Then you will get an SES light. If you get code 51, you may not have installed the chip properly like, put it in backwards?

I'm asking because I recently did an engine swap and according to my research I needed to change the v6 prom to the v8 that would match the new set up I added. But I think I might have to make a new thread as there is other things that factor in. I haven't found any threads except for this one that related to the issue I'm having.

RustyNM_92

Reaction score
Make sure the V8 chip is from the same Service # ECM as your original V6's

Are you saying that it should match the service #? As I thought that they where specific, with usually the last two numbers changing with different ecms + chips.

RustyNM_92

Reaction score

Thank you, the website was actually very helpful, from what I am understanding in the website the eprom type would be 2732A (V6) and the v8 one I have is also 2732A from the same year. So that should check out but, I am still getting that same code. Maybe I should just cover the SES with a sticker and call it a day ha.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you getting code 51? If so, your ECM isn't doing anything, it's in limp mode. Pull the chip and look to see if any of the pins are bent. If it was installed in the plastic holder properly and the pins are all straight, time to find another chip.