Putting A Chip In A TBI Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Tinman put one on an LT1 on another forum and swore by it. They make killer midrange but that's it. The runners are too long to do anything down low or up top.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ebl is a do it yourself thing? Right.
I am not much of a computer guy.
It's more fun that way but, if you don't want to try, go to gearheadefi.com and talk to dave w (old school efi) there, he can help you out or give you some direction.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go to gearheadefi.com and talk to dave w (old school efi) there, he can help you out or give you some direction.

I second this. Dave is awesome and super helpful. Really everyone at that forum is. I learned so much about GM computers and EFI. Still visit often.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Guys has anyone switched to a TPI intake?? I read nearly everywhere that these intakes are good for around 30% more HP, Torque and MPG in a mild or stock SBC under 5000 RPMs. I have been running Ford (I know sorry) 2000 Mercury Grans Marques and now a 03 Crown Vic ex-cop car and OMG these LITTLE 281CC 4.6 Fords haul ass...and they are running Ford's copy of Chevy's TIP intake...and my 2000 was able to get 27/30MPG at 65MPH with 327 gears and with a tweaked 16.4 A/F ratio I could get 35MPG at 65MPH, problem was I could find no one to set up a highway mode in its PCM.

I also have a great 93 Chevy G20 custom van with a frozen motor from a lost oil line that I am building a nice Low RPM motor for it and plan on running a Camaro TPI with the EBL add on card. So second question is what years and PCMs was the Highway Mode hidden in?

Rich

@pro17 has done this, he's got a pretty detailed write up on it here.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/tbi-to-tpi-conversion-mpfi.39486/

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Does that allow you to run a bigger camshaft and still keep your fuel injection

So many people have this misconception that you can't run a big cam with EFI and it's nothing but a wive's tale from the days when nobody made anything to tune EFI with.

ole paint

Reaction score
Reason i ask is i have a 93 gmc k2500 7.4 with a mild cam still has the EFI runs very well im guessing someone has modified the computer the only thing i have noticed is the idle takes a little longer to idle down but once it does it runs great.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue with a big cam is getting enough vacuum for your brake booster but, there's ways around that.

Earthworm

Reaction score
I am looking to order a chip to delete my EGR. Who is reputable with decent turn around?

I am going to make or order a block plate.

I ordered my smog delete pulley. Do I need tune for this?

My EGR was not hooked up when I bought the truck. I have a 1988 gmc k1500 auto w/ 350. I have been searching 3rd gen forums and this one but not sure who is current with this service.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have a 1227747 ECM. You can contact dave w (OldSchoolEFI) @ Gearhead-efi, he should be able to help you. The issue is the 7747 ECUs came with an EPROM not an EEPROM which means yours will have to be erased with UV light and then burn the new .bin where an EEPROM can be flashed in seconds. you can also have your ECM's 24 pin socket replaced with a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket and buy 27SF512 chips to flash your own .bins with Moates Burn2 and an ALDL cable. Or get an EBL Flash2 from DynamicEFI.com (RBob) FYI - you can also enable HLC (Hiway Lean Cruise).

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php