Putting a carburetor in a TBI based truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the OE 75L/Hr TBI pump is anemic at best. It'll only support ~230HP then it'll run out of juice. I'd go with a higher volume in-tank pump (like an EP381) with a bypass AFPR.
I'd rather go with a mechanical pump. Small blocks up to 94 I believe still had the fuel pump lobe on the cam, so all I'd need would be the pushrod and a mechanical pump, both of with I have. Then if i need to, i can get a higher volume later and swap it out.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you 100% on that? 1992 was the 4L60, not the 4l60E. The 4L60 is a renamed 700r4.
No not at all. Someone told it it had to be a 4l60e , and I just believed then. Never had any reason to look into it. I cam tell apart a power glide from a th350, from aTH400, but that's about it. Dont know the newer ones as well.
Is there a way to tell from the outside?
And are the 60 and 60E interchangeable? Because I have what I was told was a 60E out of a 94 that was my backup plan for swaping into that.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember right, 1993 was the changeover year from the 4L60 to the 4L60e. Do you have a TV cable? If so, it's a 4L60/700R4.
If you mean the kick down/passing gear cable, yes I have one. But it's not hooked up, the peg for it is broken off on the TBI, downshift has never worked, have to do it manually.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you mean the kick down/passing gear cable, yes I have one. But it's not hooked up, the peg for it is broken off on the TBI, downshift has never worked, have to do it manually.

Then you have a 4L60/700r4. A 94 60E will bolt up but will require a controller, or maybe even a different PCM. If a manual is on the table that's the way to go.

Read through here when you get a minute.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the 4L60/700R4, it's not a kick down/passing gear cable, it's the Throttle Valve cable which changes system pressure based on how far you depress the accelerator. If you don't get it fixed you'll burn up the trans.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the 4L60/700R4, it's not a kick down/passing gear cable, it's the Throttle Valve cable which changes system pressure based on how far you depress the accelerator. If you don't get it fixed you'll burn up the trans.
Oh, well that might explain my issues I'm having now. I'm gone like a year and a half without that cable. Did not know that. Trans is acting all sorts of weird. Check out my other thread about my issues I'm having right now.
This had been my second automatic, first of which was a 75 C30 with a th350.