Putting a carburetor in a TBI based truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but you still need the correct geometry on the throttle lever, to hook the cable to.
Please, tell me what you think is wrong with my geometry. I would like to move the TV cable mount outwards a hair, but having it offset in plane hasn't negatively affected anything. My shift points are in spec and the transmission has been running fine for a year and a half.

This is what matters most: "Road test the vehicle. Under moderate acceleration your shift points should be close to the following:
1-2.....................15-20 MPH
2-3.....................25-30 MPH
3-4.....................40-45 MPH"

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yessir
Back in the early 700r4 days transmission shops didnt know that.
It might have been an a TSB.
What made it especially frustrating and much more likely was offroading in Arizona and beating the snot out of it in Rocky Point.
And I really screwed myself because of Arizona emissions.
An 83 is all quadrajet and about 30 vacuum lines.
Arizona cooked my vacuum sphagetti.
So I would put the Q-jet back on, give a tune and pass.
And went home and yanked all that and put a Carter AFB or a Edelbrock or a Holley and drove it.
Not understanding that I was cooking my transmission.
All from the damn TV cable and its relationship between throttle position and the throw of the cable at the transmission.
I didnt know, the trans shops didnt know.
I drove this thing way deep into Mexico.
And came back with a case that looked like somebody was cooking inside it.
And that entire 4 year multi state multi country 5 thousand dollar ****** was because the trans people didnt know about it and I was screwing up their thought process by swapping carbs left and right.
I knew better, at least I thought did.
Back in high school everybody bought some ragged out 60s car and step number one was to put a barrel intake on it and some crappy headers
They come with stickers.
Cars are faster with stickers.
Slap a 4 barrel on.
Turn every screw in random ways on the hope it will make it run better.
Show up at the party with it stumbling pooping and farting.
Tell everbody you just put a cam in it.
You aint readdy to race anyone who calls ******** on you because you are still breaking in the cam.
Some knuclehead will call you out.
The trick is to get them so confident that are willing to rat race you through the narrow streets of Seattle for 500 dollars between point A to point B.
And bet your bone stock 1978 VW Rabbit against that big block heavy ass car.
I did pretty good back when we dragged down on Marginal way.
But I beat my cars down to diirt.
Rat Racing these days is an entirely different thing.
Everything they have is available dirt cheap and unstable and the auto industry has provided them with insane crazy **** built cars.
Back in the day we used to have a bunch of cash to build a death car.
Now you can just buy one cheap.
Back in the esrly 60s. They recognized that street racing was a problem..
So they opened the tracks and dragstrips to everbody. That is part of the origen story of racing in America.
And this is a big part of that assumtion and elitest notion from politicians.
They acually believe that we race because we dont understand how public transportation will make our lives better.
And you are a ******* criminal if you oppose it.
Nope. We are self satisfying
We fix our own **** by figuring it out.
I Look at it this way.
******* douchbag Putin can nuke me tomorrow.
Nothing I can do about that..
But my truck works becaause I fixed it and my dishwasher works because I fixed it and my water heater and every other damn thing.
Except the ******* pavement ants.
Those little ******** are on the verge of all out war.
I have yelled at them many times and they dont give a ****.
Ive poisned them many times and they dont give a ****
salad cuttings. The tops of carrots and the ends of oinions and just a little ground beef thrown across the alley into your neighbors back yard in the middle of the night will help.
If they catch you on camera throwing food into their backyard claim a religeous exemption that has a basis in Garlic and alien sasquatch bases on the far side of the moon.
Which is true.
Excect maybe the garlic part.
I know this is a bunch of nonsence.
I am waiting to find out what is going on with me.
But you people are awesome and amazing and kind.

Somebody should make a "Best of thinger2" thread.

Not many people can go from street racing to Putin nuking the US to driveway ants and garlic all in a carb thread about adjusting the TV cable... HaHa!

Dont stop doing what you do, your posts are always entertaining.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Please, tell me what you think is wrong with my geometry. I would like to move the TV cable mount outwards a hair, but having it offset in plane hasn't negatively affected anything. My shift points are in spec and the transmission has been running fine for a year and a half.

This is what matters most: "Road test the vehicle. Under moderate acceleration your shift points should be close to the following:
1-2.....................15-20 MPH
2-3.....................25-30 MPH
3-4.....................40-45 MPH"

You must be registered for see images attach
The geometry is fine with that setup. What you have puts the cable connection where it needs to be just like the official aftermarket ones do.