Pulling 7.4 intake, other things to look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just did this a couple weeks ago. Not too complicated. Just be sure you don't lose a washer down in the engine like I did! Everything that has been mentioned should be addressed since you are already taking the time to take the intake off. Delphi fuel pressure regulator and injectors were the biggest improvements for me. I had warm start issues and the new injectors and fuel regulator took care of that. Also replace the little vacuum hose that goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold. Be sure it's able to withstand fuel/oil otherwise it will deteriorate quickly.

It helps to spray some penetrating oil up to 48 hours before you tackle the job as it makes removing everything easier. Do an oil change AFTER you complete the project because you may have some residual coolant in the pan after this job.

Also, make sure you look up all the torque specs for the manifold so you don't get a leak afterwards.

I have Gibson headers and exhaust on mine. Love them because it's a low rumble but not too loud with nice performance gains.
Got any vids with the exhaust sound?
I want those headers and a new muffler/catback setup next year.

nathan wegner

Reaction score
Nvm on the hot start, still an issue. Anywhere to look for deals on injectors and a fpr? I have Amazon prime and done times its a lot cheaper to order stuff through them because of the free shipping seeing as how I'm in bush Allah's. I'd like to get silicone radiator hoses and vacuum hoses too. Doing up my interior trim right now with some black carbon fiber vinyl wrap, should add at least ten HP to the wheels due to the aerodynamic factor.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nvm on the hot start, still an issue. Anywhere to look for deals on injectors and a fpr? I have Amazon prime and done times its a lot cheaper to order stuff through them because of the free shipping seeing as how I'm in bush Allah's. I'd like to get silicone radiator hoses and vacuum hoses too. Doing up my interior trim right now with some black carbon fiber vinyl wrap, should add at least ten HP to the wheels due to the aerodynamic factor.

Trim is one of the best bang for the buck power adders haha

You're not going to find injectors on amazon, unfortunately. If you're looking to save money, you could look into used injectors.

http://injector-rehab.com/shop/home.php

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't buy cheap injectors off of eBay. They almost killed me and my family. They sold me what I thought were supposed to be Bosch Replacements, and granted they ran fine for a couple of months, but I started pulling a mountain pass and because they were just slightly different that the OEM ones, one popped out of the fuel rail and started pouring gas on my hot engine (95* temps outside, pulling a pass). I got off the road, opened the hood and saw gas boiling in the nooks and crannies on the top of the engine. Needles to say I got the wife and kids as far away as I could in case a spark ignited the gas (which at some times I wish it would have...). Apparently, there was an extra couple of O rings left in from an injector install, however when I did it, all 16 of mine were accounted for. Turns out these "Bosch" injectors were from a Mid 90's Volvo 4 banger. I tried to get my money back from eBay but there seller support was too tight and since it had been more than 90 days, there was no recourse. Cost me an arm and a leg to fix on vacation.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tom is right, ebay is a dangerous place to get injectors. A lot of the "bosch" injectors on there also have terrible spray patterns and aren't balanced well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

nathan wegner

Reaction score
Damn auto correct... I'm in bush Alaska. So I started reading a lot on here about all kinds of stuff, head swaps and all that. Probably save up for some injectors for now. Anyone on here have any luck cleaning injectors themselves? I remember watching a YouTube video awhile back on it. If I test them and have a good flow and pattern couldn't I just install new o-rings and fpr and be good to go? Here's a shot of some of the trim I've done.

You must be registered for see images attach