Pulled distributor cap off too check rotor button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman walking

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I pulled the distributor cap off to check the rotor button and cap terminals one of them was gouged too hell. so I had an old cap and rotor lying around replaced it now the truck won't start. I know the old one is still good because I used it before and it does not have that many miles on it.

Has to replace old distributor stalk cause it was burnt. So I found a new ignition coil I had lying around too. The ignition coil had been sitting on my work bench for about 2 years but I never even used it. Just wondering if the coil would be bad from sitting all that time I'm ******* stumped.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First, make sure that everything is plugged in correctly and check your firing order.

If it's TBI, pull the ignition wire from the ignition coil to the center of the cap. Crank the engine. You should see a nice fat blue spark going from the ignition coil terminal to the body of the coil. That'll tell you right there if the ignition coil is any good.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled the distributor cap off to check the rotor button and cap terminals one of them was gouged too hell.
If one of the six spark plug wire terminal posts was "gouged", you'd better figure out why. Are the bushings in the distributor housing wiped-out, so the rotor is hitting that terminal?

If it's "gouged" from corrosion, you need to verify the plug wire and spark plug on that terminal.

so I had an old cap and rotor lying around replaced it now the truck won't start. I know the old one is still good because I used it before and it does not have that many miles on it.
Is the rotor pointing the right way? It should not be possible to put it on wrong...but I've seen it done on older Chevy engines.

Has to replace old distributor stalk cause it was burnt.
What is a distributor stalk?

So I found a new ignition coil I had lying around too. The ignition coil had been sitting on my work bench for about 2 years but I never even used it. Just wondering if the coil would be bad from sitting all that time.
Really unlikely.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Year, model, engine, trans.
What is a burnt distributor stalk?
Did you put a new dist in it?

If its a TBI and you pulled the dist I will bet you a box of donuts that you are 1 tooth off.
Maybe 180 out but I kinda doubt that
Happens all the time.
When you pull the distributor, that tab that locks into the oil pump disengages before the gear stops turning.
As you pull it, that gear keeps rotating.
It will always be one tooth off.
Do everything at zero tdc.
It really does make it easier.

Deadman walking

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Year, model, engine, trans.
What is a burnt distributor stalk?
Did you put a new dist in it?

If its a TBI and you pulled the dist I will bet you a box of donuts that you are 1 tooth off.
Maybe 180 out but I kinda doubt that
Happens all the time.
When you pull the distributor, that tab that locks into the oil pump disengages before the gear stops turning.
As you pull it, that gear keeps rotating.
It will always be one tooth off.
Do everything at zero tdc.
It really does make it easier.
1992 350. Oh I forgot to mention I already pulled that old distributor out and thrown in the new one about a year ago. And it ran all that time.

Deadman walking

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If one of the six spark plug wire terminal posts was "gouged", you'd better figure out why. Are the bushings in the distributor housing wiped-out, so the rotor is hitting that terminal?

If it's "gouged" from corrosion, you need to verify the plug wire and spark plug on that terminal.

Is the rotor pointing the right way? It should not be possible to put it on wrong...but I've seen it done on older Chevy engines.

What is a distributor stalk?

Really unlikely.
Yes the rotor is pointing the right way.

It's not gouged from corrosion but more like from the rotor button hitting the terminal.

Sorry distributor shaft. I just call it a stalk like a stalk of corn.

I guess I managed to short the coil don't know how. Will get pictures of distributor and cap and rotor.

And lastly I didn't move the distributor or anything in anyway I tightened it down real good. I only pulled the cap and rotor to figure out why it was clicking when I put my hand on it.

Deadman walking

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Deadman walking

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when I put the blue cap and rotor on there it ran and everything and then shut it off.

tried to start it back up and it just back fired and a whole bunch of smoke came out the intake and after that it wouldn't start back up.

I hope I didn't blow the engine up some how.