PSA for camshaft expansion plugs+ flex plate!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Far as I know--and I have not researched this in-depth--the Gen 5/6 big-blocks use the same flywheel/flexplate for cast cranks, and another one for forged cranks.

The cast-crank offset weight is different from the forged-crank offset weight, but there's no difference between Gen 5 and Gen 6.

The 8.1L Gen 7 set this right again with a neutral-balanced flexplate/flywheel.

Jimbo2312

Reaction score
You can use a pressure primer, they're a little spendy but nice if you're working on engines without a distributor - www.allstarperformance.com/oil-pressure-primer-tank-all10535/

If you're not gonna do this very often then this is probably best - www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/23640/10002/-1 - just remove the distributor and chuck this up in a 1/2" drill

This is a good article - scroll down and it shows a pic of the oil plug under the main cap someone mentioned
www.enginelabs.com/news/what-i-learned-today-with-jeff-smith-not-all-leaks-are-external/

In this case, I'd prime it before I install the engine. Stick a cheap pressure gauge on the engine while you're priming it to confirm you have good oil pressure. Take the spark plugs out so it's easier to turn over, take off the valve covers so you can confirm oil has made it's way up to each rocker, and then get someone to turn the engine over a few times with a wrench while you're priming. If everything looks good and you have good oil pressure make sure to keep turning over until you're on the compression stroke for cylinder 1. Put tape over the distributor hole. Install the engine. You flushed the assembly lube out of the bearings with the first priming, so after installing the engine I'd prime it once more for a minute or so, but not turn it over or anything cause you need cylinder 1 to still be on the compression stroke to install the distributor.
That is a 10/10 article man. How would you manage your oil cooler lines during oil priming?

The plan was to prime it before dropping it in, but I took advantage of having a hand at the shop and dropped the motor back in, way easier with two guys. So now I will prime with the motor back in the truck. Time to get break in oil, and a new oil pressure switch, to replace the obliterated one that was sacrificed dropping it back in.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Priming" is a less-than-one-minute job on any engine with a submerged oil pump. The moment you have oil pressure on the gauge, you're done priming.

All the rest--turning the crank, watching for oil at the rocker arms, turn the crank, watch for oil at the rocker arms, turn the crank... is just make-work, and essentially useless.

Some guys want to make a career out of "priming" the oil system. TOTAL waste of time. And too often, they think the oil pump should be driven by a 2,000-rpm 3/8" or 1/4" cordless drill, so they burn the drill up in the process of doing nothing useful.

IF (big IF) you insist on using a drill to turn the priming tool, better use a ~500 RPM 1/2" drill, and air drills rather than electric are strongly preferred. When it's me, I turn the priming tool BY HAND, about 1 1/2 revolutions per second--90-ish RPM.

My priming tool for a Pontiac. Chevrolet similar.
You must be registered for see images attach

Oldsmobile is even easier--a 5/16 socket on a speeder handle.

Buick, Big Block Mopar, LS-series--are more difficult due to the oil pump being up and out of the oil pan.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Far as I know--and I have not researched this in-depth--the Gen 5/6 big-blocks use the same flywheel/flexplate for cast cranks, and another one for forged cranks.

The cast-crank offset weight is different from the forged-crank offset weight, but there's no difference between Gen 5 and Gen 6.

The 8.1L Gen 7 set this right again with a neutral-balanced flexplate/flywheel.
Ah, yep... it's important to know what you have.

Jimbo2312

Reaction score
"Priming" is a less-than-one-minute job on any engine with a submerged oil pump. The moment you have oil pressure on the gauge, you're done priming.

Thanks for your input here man. I’m doing this with the motor installed. So plug in the oil pressure sensor, leave the crank sensor off, prime from the distributor, put everything back together on top, and see if she turns over. After turnover, do you have any recommendation on good break in procedure? I’ve heard alot of different responses. Thanks in advance!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m doing this with the motor installed.
Installed or not installed--doesn't matter.

So plug in the oil pressure sensor, leave the crank sensor off,
There's no reason to disable the crank sensor.

prime from the distributor,
I use a modified distributor, with the gear teeth ground off and a "handle" screwed-into the top. A priming tool is a viable method as well. Point is, DON'T TRY TO SPIN THE PRIMING TOOL TOO FAST.

When the engine is cranking on the starter motor, the distributor is turning something like 80-ish RPM. That's as fast as you need to turn the priming tool. Trying to turn it faster than that is hard on the drill motor; and much moreso if the drill is geared to spin the chuck at ~2000 rpm like most 1/4 or 3/8 drills. 500 rpm is bad enough with a 1/2" drill. At least the 1/2" drill is tough enough to handle that load for ~30 seconds or so. Assure you're turning the priming tool in the direction of normal distributor rotation.

Don't make a career out of "priming". The O-N-L-Y thing you're trying to accomplish is to displace air from the oil pump, oil filter, and the main oil galleries; and the oil galleries are going to be bleeding oil from the bearings and lifter bores starting the moment you quit priming. You are ABSOLUTELY NOT trying to lubricate anything by pressurizing the oiling system. Everything that need lubrication was assembled with prelube of some sort.

put everything back together on top,
The only thing that wouldn't be "together" is the distributor and plug wires.

and see if she turns over.
If you installed the engine properly, why would it not turn over? Of course it's gonna turn over. Assuming the fuel system primes as normal, and the distributor is installed properly, (deliberately timed somewhat advanced for initial break-in--perhaps initial timing of 05 to 15 degrees advanced) that engine should fire almost instantly--which is what you want. Have a garden hose standing nearby to extinguish flames that SHOULD NOT HAPPEN, and to mist the radiator if it gets overly-warm.

After turnover, do you have any recommendation on good break in procedure? I’ve heard alot of different responses.
FIRST, with a flat-tappet cam, you need to run the engine with the throttle adjusted open, or blocked-open at ~2000 rpm for 20 minutes. Given a choice, I'll run it at 2K for ten minutes, watching oil pressure, coolant temp, poke my head under the engine to look for signs of oil, coolant, PS, transmission, or fuel leaks. Top off coolant as the thermostat opens and burps air into the radiator. Listen for "funny noises" including exhaust leaks. Shut the engine off with little or no idle-time. Let it cool. FIX ANY FAULTS you've discovered. Re-check all fluid levels. Re-start engine and again have the throttle set for ~2K RPM for the second 10 minutes.

In a perfect world, you'd have painted stripes on the pushrods, and used "special tool" valve covers with viewing slots cut into them, to make sure that the flat-tapped lifters--and therefore the pushrods--are spinning. These are my valve covers for Pontiac, but Chevy would be similar.
You must be registered for see images attach

IF (big IF) you used heavy, moly-based paste on the lifter bottoms and cam lobes as prelube, change the oil filter. 20 minutes of run-time with moly-based paste can plug an oil filter. Note that I'm NOT changing the oil, just the filter, and topping-off the oil. Some folks want to dump the oil, too. I think that's wasteful especially if you're paying big-bucks for special "break-in" oil. Re-start the engine, verify proper initial timing,

If this is a roller-cam engine, fire the engine and give it 10 minutes of ~2K rpm. Top off coolant as needed. Look for fluid leaks, listen for "funny noises". Shut off engine, verify all fluid levels, verify proper ignition timing. The lifters won't be spinning.

Then it's ready to drive. Grab your cell-phone, and take a little-used highway out of town. Drive 20--30 miles, turn around. On your way back into town, WHACK THE THROTTLE OPEN as far as you can without the transmission kicking down from high gear. Depending on vehicle gearing and tire size, you'll be accelerating from 30 or 40 mph to 60+ mph. Then remove your foot from the gas pedal, coast back to 30-ish mph. Repeat whacking the throttle open without kicking the trans down to a lower gear, and then coast back to 30 mph. Repeat until it stops being fun--6, 8, 12 times. You're specifically looking for heavy-throttle, high cylinder pressure to push the rings tightly against the cylinder walls, but not high RPM. There's really no need to run the engine faster than 3500--4000 RPM. The coasting part creates high vacuum in the cylinders, brings oil up the cylinder walls to wash away any wear particles. High pressure...high vacuum. High pressure...high vacuum.

NOW go home and change oil and filter. Verify all fluid levels. Assure no leaks.

Engine is broken-in and ready for service.

When it's me, I install a supplemental, bypass oil filter on "new" or newly-rebuilt engines. These filters will remove extremely fine wear particles, and other than the 20-minute regular oil filter plugged due to moly-based paste prelube, eliminate oil and filter changes on a new engine. The oil is kept clean-as-new for the service life of the bypass filter element, which can be tens of thousands of miles. The bypass filter is a permanent part of my '88 K1500; someday I'll put one on my '97; but you "could" remove the thing once you feel the engine has fully "broken in" at 200 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles or whatever you feel comfortable with. My choice is old Frantz a_sswipe bypass filters, which use a roll of toilet paper as a filter element, bought used or NOS from eBay. Amsoil sells brand-new bypass filters using specialized filter elements, there's a company or two that have updated the Frantz filter, and there are other companies that sell bypass filters also.

Last edited:

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy's dad had a Franz filter on a mid 80s Toyota mini motor home. Changed the oil every 5k. Oil always looked new when changed.
Needed a valve cover gasket once and it also looked like new inside. Sold me on the positive attributes they advertise, But i have sadly never installed one.

Jimbo2312

Reaction score
Schurkey thanks for the response man. I can’t see a possible negative to priming a motor, I just dropped way too much money on this and I don’t think there’s a down side to caution. This dude forgot three plugs in this, mind you.

As far as ignition, this is a 305 computer, with a swap to a 350. I know I need to get my computer remapped, and that it ought to run lean as is, should I hold off and wait until I get the other computer?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schurkey thanks for the response man. I can’t see a possible negative to priming a motor, I just dropped way too much money on this and I don’t think there’s a down side to caution. This dude forgot three plugs in this, mind you.
You'll waste time and enthusiasm, and most-likely learn nothing.

Oil pressure would have to be extremely low before you're likely to think something's wrong. And if you DON'T get oil to the rocker arms...that's pretty-much normal until the engine actually runs and the lifters bounce up 'n' down awhile. Even turning the crank often doesn't produce oil at the rocker arms.

PRIMING the oil pump means to displace air. You've done that the instant pressure registers on the gauge. And GM doesn't bother at all. It's not like they prime engines before firing them.

Pressurizing the oiling system--which is way beyond "priming"--does nothing beneficial assuming the engine was built right to begin with, and is not an appropriate method of discovering faults.

As far as ignition, this is a 305 computer, with a swap to a 350. I know I need to get my computer remapped, and that it ought to run lean as is, should I hold off and wait until I get the other computer?
Yeah, I think that'd be wise. You do have 350 injectors...right? That'd be crucial.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4L80E definitely has its own flexplate with 6 evenly spaced bolt holes on a larger diameter. I have been on TCI for years to offer the right plate for the SBC 4L80E guys as well as the big block 4L80E guys. Their dual drilled BS they try to market for the application does not do us any good unless we want to leave out the 3 bolts that do not line up.
I got caught by the dual drilled pattern thing. Finally found what looked like internally balanced bbc flexplate for 4l80e and it turned out to be just a dual pattern thing.