Proportional Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do a fair amount of towing and usually it's between 3,000 to 12,000 lbs. My truck came with a brake controller in it, but it's a time-delay type and obnoxious when you like you brake smooth, but it always wants to stop quick, so you wind up pulsing the pedal.

I'm looking for a decent proportional type that will stop hard if I need to, or slowly like I want to. I was talking to a buddy and he has one in his truck that works so well it's like you aren't even towing. His apparently taps into the brake line and adjusts the voltage based on how much pressure you apply to the brakes.

I've been searching around on the internet and I don't seem to see anything like that out there. They all seem similar to what it have, just more or less complex.

Got any recommendations?

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do a fair amount of towing and usually it's between 3,000 to 12,000 lbs. My truck came with a brake controller in it, but it's a time-delay type and obnoxious when you like you brake smooth, but it always wants to stop quick, so you wind up pulsing the pedal.

I'm looking for a decent proportional type that will stop hard if I need to, or slowly like I want to. I was talking to a buddy and he has one in his truck that works so well it's like you aren't even towing. His apparently taps into the brake line and adjusts the voltage based on how much pressure you apply to the brakes.

I've been searching around on the internet and I don't seem to see anything like that out there. They all seem similar to what it have, just more or less complex.

Got any recommendations?
I do this for a living, so this kinda feels like work LOL.

Here check these out;
Cheaper: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51140
Fancier: https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51170

Reaction score
What’s the plug and play like or a lot of wiring? Put a Tekonsha on my 03 Suburban and recall it being pretty easy to just yep into a factory plug location

ErikL

Reaction score
I’m not a professional driver, but I’ve used a Tekonsha P3 for 4 years on my Ford Explorer with no issues. I just transferred it over to my ‘99 c3500 (replacing an old Tekonsha Voyager) and it again worked great for towing a fifth wheel. It was easy to wire in to the existing harness. Price was reasonable if I remember correctly.

https://www.tekonsha.com/product/90195_trailer-brake-control-proportional

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So nothing that taps into the brakes anymore? That seems like the perfect proportional control. I'll have to check out the P3 as it seems to be preferred.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another one for the Tekonsha P3; I had a Voyager in my K2500 with some sketchy a$$ wiring done by the POs, it worked great but I never really felt I could get it properly adjusted.
Bought the P3 controller and install kit from E-Trailer and I've loved it ever since, more than likely going to replace the janky controller in my K3500 with a Tekonsha too.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I like the Curt Time based ones. A 4 second delay to full braking feels right to me. I set the controller to stop just a tiny bit better with the trailer on than no trailer.
But I drive like an old man in a mid size-car hearing a hat.
Because I AM and old man often seen wearing a hat but in a ginormous truck!

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced a broken DrawTite brand in my truck with a Tekonsha P3. The gain on the Drawtite could not be adjusted down and would lock the trailer brakes. The P3 works nice and smooth and no longer has the jerky braking feel when slowing to a stop sign, ect. I wouldn’t tow with anything else again.