Proper use of Loctite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wondering, are you supposed to let Blue Loctite dry before threading it in? Instructions don’t say so, but I often see pre-loctited fasteners in kits.

homesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering, are you supposed to let Blue Loctite dry before threading it in? Instructions don’t say so, but I often see pre-loctited fasteners in kits.
LOL You little scamp, did you read the thread?

joe

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As stated in the thread, the thread locker applied to fasteners that the factory uses is different than what we use.
It is designed to dry and "re-wet" when installed. They are one time use, meaning you can't loosen them and reuse them with the factory locker on them. They use these for ease of use, they come coated from their supplier. No liquid thread locker mess at the factory and a time saver.
The stuff we use is anaerobic which means it dries in the absence of air. It dries when we assemble and tighten our fasteners.
Although an open bottle won't dry, it is not recommended to leave it open.
I have started using the chap stick style sticks of red thread locker and gold neversieze. Easier to use but have an expiration date.
I still have green in a liquid since it obviously won't work in a stick. I don't use blue.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always wonder if you put antisieze and loctite on the same bold would it cancel out or what? it sounds dumb but but i feel its a valid question.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There can be situations where you do that like, assembly lube (or anti-seize) to the underside of the bolt head and thread lock to the threads in order to get proper torque. You have to keep them separate.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
There can be situations where you do that like, assembly lube (or anti-seize) to the underside of the bolt head and thread lock to the threads in order to get proper torque. You have to keep them separate.

I think that's why GM uses a lot of captured washers.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use purple (222) if blue is too hard to remove. It's pretty weak stuff, but will prevent a but from free spinning off of a stud. Great for low torque applications.