Proper use of Loctite

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigfutz, Aug 30, 2018.

  1. bigfutz

    bigfutz OBS Enthusiast

    Age:
    50
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    18
    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2018
    Location:
    SC
    I replaced my brake booster and am wondering about proper use of Loctite. All the nuts looked like they had blue Loctite applied heavily to the inside of the nuts and then allowed to dry before installing on the studs. They were a nightmare to remove. Should I follow that method, or just back the nuts off and put it on the stud and tighten down wet?
     
  2. Oldblue98

    Oldblue98 Supporting Member

    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    524
    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Location:
    Gulf Coast Florida
    Factory will use loctite on a lot of things, honestly before loctite was on the scene I never seen a booster bolt work loose on anything. But a drop of blue will not hurt, put it on and tighten wet.
     
    kennythewelder and bigfutz like this.
  3. 454cid

    454cid Sooper Pooper

    Messages:
    2,316
    Likes Received:
    451
    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Location:
    The 26th State
    The factory gets bolts from their suppliers with thread locker already applied. It's designed to dry on the exposed threads and activate upon use. Most of us have Loctite 242 which is not designed to work that way. It would take forever to dry exposed, and then It probably wouldn't activate when threaded on to something.

    There are times where I can't remove all of the OEM thread locker even with a wire wheel!

    When I work on my truck almost everything gets anti-seize or Loctite, depending on what I'm working on.
     
  4. RichLo

    RichLo E I E I O

    Messages:
    1,086
    Likes Received:
    430
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Same here with the loctite or anti-seize on everything. Its really cheap insurance.

    As for the proper use of loctite, I use 'high-strength' for 90% of my uses (including sealing NPT fittings from leaking) or 'permanent' for the other 10% that really need to be locked down.

    Then anit-seize on pretty much anything that gets hot, exhaust manifold bolts, O2 sensors, Spark plugs, etc
     
  5. Jared Jackson

    Jared Jackson I'm Awesome

    Messages:
    785
    Likes Received:
    347
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2018
    Location:
    East Texas
    When using loctite on a bolt... I always ran one small strip down one side of the threads. Then drove the bolt in wet. I wasn't trying to cement it into place, just wanted to give it something to hold it from backing out.
     
  6. bigfutz

    bigfutz OBS Enthusiast

    Age:
    50
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    18
    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2018
    Location:
    SC
    I soaked the nuts in acetone for a bit and the factory loctite fell right off.
     
  7. 454cid

    454cid Sooper Pooper

    Messages:
    2,316
    Likes Received:
    451
    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Location:
    The 26th State
    That's good to know, Thanks! I'll try that next time it doesn't want to come off while cleaning up the hardware with the wire wheel.
     
  8. Ken K

    Ken K I'm Awesome

    Messages:
    227
    Likes Received:
    79
    Joined:
    May 10, 2017
    Location:
    Omaha, NE.
    I have high strength RED, medium strength BLUE, and GRN to be applied after nut is tight. Just don't let your son put RED on the lug nuts, like he did on a vehicle he worked on. Torch works great!
     
  9. bigfutz

    bigfutz OBS Enthusiast

    Age:
    50
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    18
    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2018
    Location:
    SC
  10. Oldblue98

    Oldblue98 Supporting Member

    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    524
    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Location:
    Gulf Coast Florida
    The last one should be come bleed or blister !
     

Share This Page