Project Mongrel - The 1500 to 2500HD SWB SCSB Step Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
Being that I did have.. and couldn't get an original bellhousing meant I had to get an older type BH with the clutch fork on the drivers side. That opened another slew of problems to over come. I kept pondering whether to go with an internal or external slave, though once I stumbled upon a "pull" type hydraulic slave I knew that was the way to go so my attention turned to how and mount it. I knew I could make a bracket mounted to the tail housing to main case bolts. Fabricating 3 pieces from 1/4" plate and a stub shaft machined in the lathe, I welded them together to what you see here... Next step is to fab up an inspection cover then I can get to installing the trans...
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ddaxe

Reaction score
Finally got to installing the trans. Took a bit of screwing around, but I finally got it in there. I had tried to install it with the bellhousing attached. When that wasn't getting me anywhere, I installed the bell separately... (it's been a while since I've messed with a standard) which made getting at the bolts way easier. Not only that, but the clips that hold the fuel lines and wiring. Once lined up... the trans slipped right in. Now.. for a couple of things that are not like what I have read. 1/ The trans crossmember DOES NOT just line up as the 4L80 did. Maybe a 4L60 does, but being my parts trucks are still buried under 3ft of snow, I wasn't able to measure the differences between the 2. So, that meant drilling the frame in order to get it secured. The difference is about 2 1/4". The bell housing measures the same as an original @ 6.5" in depth. The 4500 & 3500 measure the same around 26" the 80 was 28 1/4". No biggy.. but there is a difference. 2/ I cannot, for the life of me.. find the neutral safety switch wires. Looking at what is termed "Transmission Range selector" in the manual on the lower column, I don't see a pink or yellow wire but there are 2 vacant blades on it, though, looks like nothing was attached for the amount of dust that is on them. The wires that are attached I believe are for the reverse lights. Also,looking at the trans harness is the same... I really want to hook this up to the clutch switch for obvious reasons. Is there something I'm overlooking??... missing?? I sure hope the truck will start once the install is done... any other ideas are more than welcome ...

Last edited:

ddaxe

Reaction score
Should have a working clutch after bleeding the system. If the hose travel isn't enough, I can bend the slave hard line towards the front of the truck to give a bit more wiggle room. I'm trying to put the least amount of side stress on the slave so it doesn't chafe the bore that will cause a leak... [emoji1696]

ddaxe

Reaction score
Here's something you don't see very often... I wanted the yoke off another drive shaft so I can put it in the end of the t-case so oil won't be spilling all over when I installed it. So I put the shaft in the press to pop the U joints free and I just knew it was taking more force than usual to free it up. Not having a cage around the press.. I turned my head and kept cranking the handle ( which was pretty stiff by this time)... then came the "ka-bang" A lot louder than I'm used to and the clanking of pieces hitting the floor & wall. When I looked to check it out.. I was very surprised the yoke was still in tact after seeing this... WOW...

ddaxe

Reaction score
It's coming together. Got the top loader shifter stub in, made a plate to cover the extended hole I had to cut into the tunnel, got the carpet back in and the stick & boot buttoned up. I was concerned about the neutral safety switch not being connected or being part of the auto's harness hampering a start, so I gave it a shot and she fired right up. hmmm... I still want to figure out hooking up the clutch NSS... Next on the list is to get the laptop out and shut off all auto settings, turn on the manual parameters and try my hand at tuning. I've been reading tons of stuff over at Gearhead EFI... quite a learning curve to say the least, but I'm sure I'll be able to tweak the 454 with my Moates setup by keeping it simple

Last edited:

ddaxe

Reaction score
Success at last!! Finally got the hydraulic clutch setup bled and working. Hooked the exhaust back up, bolted the seat back in. though I left the front driveshaft out in case I need to adjust the clutch travel somewhat. Once I had it where I could take it for a test run, I fired it up and took it out for a mile run. Getting used to a manual again didn't take too long. The truck shifted good and being able to get the BB into the power band before it would shift with the auto was nice.
I still have some minor stuff to put back together, but it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to button it all back up. 1 thing I did notice was the check engine light didn't come on, even though the auto is gone... since I've yet to reprogram the chip in the pcm.. and it seemed to behave like it was standard all along... hmmm ... go figure!! Hopefully.. no more major issues with it. [emoji1696]

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Success at last!! Finally got the hydraulic clutch setup bled and working. Hooked the exhaust back up, bolted the seat back in. though I left the front driveshaft out in case I need to adjust the clutch travel somewhat. Once I had it where I could take it for a test run, I fired it up and took it out for a mile run. Getting used to a manual again didn't take too long. The truck shifted good and being able to get the BB into the power band before it would shift with the auto was nice.
I still have some minor stuff to put back together, but it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to button it all back up. 1 thing I did notice was the check engine light didn't come on, even though the auto is gone... since I've yet to reprogram the chip in the pcm.. and it seemed to behave like it was standard all along... hmmm ... go figure!! Hopefully.. no more major issues with it. [emoji1696]

I bet that's fun, jealous, good work!

ddaxe

Reaction score
I bet that's fun, jealous, good work!

Tks.. it's been a lot of work.. especially since I had spent 2 winters restoring it only to have the 80 fail.. after 6 months.. oh well.. Now I have the truck I really wanted from the start.. so it's a bad for a good... imo ...oh yes.. in just that short rip.. ya.. it takes it to another level...
Next on the list is power buckets (which I have in a 96 parts truck) and center console..

ddaxe

Reaction score
Now that I've had some seat time with the new configuration I have to say swapping to a manual was a good
move. I didn't realize how much I liked and missed having a vehicle with a standard trans again. The engine could be a bit smoother in harder acceleration, so now I've turned my attention to getting Tuner Pro RT talking to the truck. 1st attempt yielded nothing.. so back to Moates n GH EFI for some more tutoring.. 2nd try.. success ! It so out of my comfort zone opposed to what I'm able to do with a carb setup.. but I'm keeping an open mind and absorbing as much as I can to understand all that's associated with EFI... I'm learning so much about it.. it's a whole other level of cool... and no dirty hands... go figure .. hahaha... I have one more upgrade planned for the beast besides the seat swap.. a Detroit locker for the 14 bolt FF... To that end.. this should conclude the major work ... Hope you have enjoyed reading about the build and maybe inspired some of you

.. [emoji4]

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that I've had some seat time with the new configuration I have to say swapping to a manual was a good
move. I didn't realize how much I liked and missed having a vehicle with a standard trans again. The engine could be a bit smoother in harder acceleration, so now I've turned my attention to getting Tuner Pro RT talking to the truck. 1st attempt yielded nothing.. so back to Moates n GH EFI for some more tutoring.. 2nd try.. success ! It so out of my comfort zone opposed to what I'm able to do with a carb setup.. but I'm keeping an open mind and absorbing as much as I can to understand all that's associated with EFI... I'm learning so much about it.. it's a whole other level of cool... and no dirty hands... go figure .. hahaha... I have one more upgrade planned for the beast besides the seat swap.. a Detroit locker for the 14 bolt FF... To that end.. this should conclude the major work ... Hope you have enjoyed reading about the build and maybe inspired some of you

.. [emoji4]

Hell yeah, glad its going well!