Project Mongrel - The 1500 to 2500HD SWB SCSB Step Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
As planned.. welded the floor pans in... seam sealed.. and waiting to rubberize it top and underside.. oh.. and I'll be sure to cut the hole for the stick from the NV 4500 before rolling the carpet back in.. cause it was the reason I got into this mess in the first place...
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddaxe

Reaction score
Now that the floor is solid again, the focus is getting the tranny installed. One issue is the spring for the clutch pedal. Searching in vain has turned up nothing. So, I set about making a spring retainer that will sit up inside the bracket so it doesn't interfere with the push rod. Here's pics forming the sheet metal where the spring will seat.. and the final pieces. this should work..

Last edited:

ddaxe

Reaction score
I was hoping it didn't have to come to this.. but kinda expected it.. the little bracket for the clutch pedal is non existent... so in order to do it properly.. the dash has to come out. Only a couple plugs left to string through.. and it's as good as out.... As for the bracket.. I'll try my hand at making one..

ddaxe

Reaction score
Desperate times call for desperate measures... I did a smash n grab on a parts 88 I have in the back 40 that was/had a manual with hopes the bracket was still there... only thing was.. it's buried under 4ft of snow. So, I bit the bullet armed with a shovel and a bunch of tools hoping I can get it out with minimal damage. Thankfully.. it was still there.. Results: Mission accomplished !! Now I can concentrate on getting this swap done...

Drewskie1992

Reaction score
About the only real challenge for getting the RC lift into the chassis was the upper control arm drop. It needed to be spread about 2''s. I cut the bracket in half, made little plates to be welded in to take up the space. It also meant that I had to make my own holes for it to bolt in. The psgr side had an access hole for a wrench, but not the drivers side. So I drilled another hole close so I could get a wrench in there to tighten it down. New bushings were pressed in the control arms and that's where I ran into a problem. While getting the old ones out, I accidently mushed one of the little side bushings in the press. With nothing to use, I turned to my lathe and quickly turned one out... having a lathe & mill, you can over come many obsticles

Finally some answers. I’ve been digging for two weeks on this. So long story short I’m looking at buying a k2500 lift for my k1500 (it’s used and dirt cheap compared to new lift prices). I had read about the UCAs being different and finding the difference seemed impossible. So on that matter how’d the LCA end of things work out? Does that bolt right up? Keep in mind I’m a machinist myself so anything I need to make/modify can be done.

ddaxe

Reaction score
Finally some answers. I’ve been digging for two weeks on this. So long story short I’m looking at buying a k2500 lift for my k1500 (it’s used and dirt cheap compared to new lift prices). I had read about the UCAs being different and finding the difference seemed impossible. So on that matter how’d the LCA end of things work out? Does that bolt right up? Keep in mind I’m a machinist myself so anything I need to make/modify can be done.

The difference between 1500 vs 2500 UCA is about 2"'s in width.. with the 2500 being wider. In my case it needed to be widen.. your case narrow it. The LCA's are the same.. no mod's needed there, though another point I should make that I didn't mention in the thread was the passenger side diff brackets are different between the 15 & 2500.. with the 2500 being longer. Using it meant I had to clearance a few bolt between the CV shaft & rear lift drop bracket because for some reason the diff shifted over (back) a little bit. but it was the CV bolts that interfered with the drop bracket bolts. All in all.. you shouldn't run into any real big surprises... it's pretty straight forward once you deal with the width/narrowing. your being a machinist should help should need to fab something... Good luck with it.. if you run into anything else or are unsure.. send me a message.. and I'll try to help...

Last edited:

ddaxe

Reaction score
Sorry bout the blank posts... something weird was happening with trying to post... any hoot.... We now have a clutch pedal. I have a little enerpak hydraulic ram for doing minor frame straightening amongst other things it can be used for.. case in point... I used it to push the clutch pedal bracket and it's end bracket into place and hold it so I could weld it in. By doing that, it eliminated any guess work if the horseshoe bracket (it's what I call it ) was properly lined up with the clutch bracket. Things are finally moving along nicely...