Project Mongrel - The 1500 to 2500HD SWB SCSB Step Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
So the 4L80e in the truck didn't last too long.. about 6 months.. so, instead of having it rebuilt.. I'm switching it over to a NV4500.. and be done with those finicky automatics... I've gathered up everything needed to do the swap.. Saying bye bye to it.. for good...
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
173,000 kms.. or around 110,000 miles... a bit premature I thought.. but.. ya.. the 4500 will be fun for sure...

I would agree that's premature.. I've seen a lot of 4l80s with way more miles. Mine has 250k on it and I drive it fairly hard, no signs of issues so far.

ddaxe

Reaction score
I would agree that's premature.. I've seen a lot of 4l80s with way more miles. Mine has 250k on it and I drive it fairly hard, no signs of issues so far.

ya.. they are very stout for the most part.. i'll just add it to my mountain of parts ... as I have 7 of these trucks to pick from...

ddaxe

Reaction score
No fooling around this time...
with what people want for a used high mileage NV4500... that would need a complete overhaul anyway and could exceed the cost of buying one outright.. IMO it's more cost effective buying a remanned 4500 with warranty.. and no playing around.
Shouldn't have to yank this out for a long time to come...

ddaxe

Reaction score
The NV4500 swap gets more interesting at every step. What I thought was a solid floor, turns out was only on the underside. When I pulled the seat and carpet out to cut the hole in the trans tunnel, I discovered the floor under it was in need of some attention. So.. I ordered new pans and will be burning them in, because it didn't take much to poke a hole through.

lvmygmc

Reaction score
Really nice job just read your build lot of work but keeping these trucks alive are worth it just about finished my rebuild on mine just have to finish rebuilding the motor bottom is done time to do the top in the spring then looking to build a trailer with the same box Good luck with yours...Fellow Ontarian

ddaxe

Reaction score
Really nice job just read your build lot of work but keeping these trucks alive are worth it just about finished my rebuild on mine just have to finish rebuilding the motor bottom is done time to do the top in the spring then looking to build a trailer with the same box Good luck with yours...Fellow Ontarian

Tks for the "luv"... lol... ya.. it's been a lot of work.. but I'm closing in on a very solid & reliable truck once I iron out some of the gremlins that have come to the surface.. I figured I've come this far.. there no stopping now until I have everything figure out (which is minimal at this point) then I can enjoy the fruits of my labour. (well I was until the tranny decided to go) but.. that's how it goes sometimes. I'm sure the NV will serve well for many a year. I'd like to see your rebuild.. yes.. keeping them alive is easier than trying to work on a new one.. and no payment is also a big plus.. mine is basically a new truck.. or will be once I replace the floor.. & trans. again tks for the comment.. cool your being from Ontario.. I don't feel so alone anymore.. hahaha..
T/C...

ddaxe

Reaction score
Started working on the drivers side floor... man.. did the factory use a lot of seam sealer.. 1/4" thick in some places... I cut out the bad and test fit the new.. unfortunately, the piece that goes over the cab mount is not part of either pan, unless it's part of a replacement cab mount, idk... I'll burn the new pans in tomorrow and it should be good as new. Before I lay the carpet back in.. I'll undercoat it top n bottom with some rubberized stuff. There's also an exhaust heat shield that's seen better days.. a go on the bead roller and I should be able to copy it... Glad I was only swapping out the tranny... lol