Project Mongrel - The 1500 to 2500HD SWB SCSB Step Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddaxe

If it don't go... chrome it..!!
Reaction score
I had a major "AH HA" moment today... It's kept bothering me why thing were off kilter with the cab, core support and fender alignment and as to why the fender to core gap was so much. So I started off making a shim 3/4" to raise the core up to meet the fender and while I was cutting a piece in the band saw, I took the time to get the old body bushings out for a comparo.. as I never throw anything out until I'm done with a project so I can always go back for reference. Well.. low n behold.. the original core bushings where taller than the cab ones.. Duh!!.. then got to looking at the new cab bushings and sure enough the 2 core ones were in the front position. No wonder..!! some things weren't right and tough to put back together... Once I jacked the cab up and switched everything around.. it fits better... much better... to be honest, when I had put the cab on, I had my brother in law helping.. and I just put the box of bushings down and told him to place them in just before I lowered it on with the tractor.. and never gave it any thought.. I'm one happy camper...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ddaxe

Reaction score
When the moment arrives to start a vehicle for the 1st time after you have been working on it for months.. and it fires right up.. it's like hearing a baby cry for the first time.. that's when you know your that much closer to a completed project.. all those hours are paying off.. next.. I'll get the brakes working .. finish the tail pipes.. and it will be onto paint... my June completion is well in sight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddaxe

Reaction score
Onto the last step in this project.. scratchin' it up and splashing some colour (Canadian spelling.. hehehe) on it..

ddaxe

Reaction score
I'm well into the body work.. I should be into sealing it up by the weekend.. and hopefully a couple coats of primer on it... amazing how much you can accomplish with a couple hours every day... 1 of my neighbours pops in from time to time to check on my progress... needless to say he was blown away at where I was.. when I fired up the 454.. he almost creamed his jeans.. lol..

ddaxe

Reaction score
Iva had this gallon of paint for a while.. waiting for the right vehicle to shoot it on... I think the Mongrel will look nice in this hue

ddaxe

Reaction score
Been busy in the shop.. Finally splashing some colour on the old beast.... Won't be long before I'm able to take the old gal out for a run... I'm making some great progress.. everything has been sealed... A final sanding should put me ready for shooting the whole truck.. I have the insides of the doors & jambs in colour... will be in clear tomorrow... and I can put the doors back on...
[/ATTACH]

ddaxe

Reaction score
It's starting to look like a truck again... also restored some of the trim... not long until final assembly...

ddaxe

Reaction score
Trying to do body work and final prep right is very time consuming... days can turn into weeks before your ready for paint (or think your ready).. it never seems to fail that just when I think it's ready.. I find something else not quite right.. I don't know if its a sub-conscience thing where you know all or any things you left.. and I keep checking it over n over.. will, without a doubt.. be the first thing you will see... after the final clear goes on... (can you say OCD) oh well.. Sais La Vie... right!!... I finally had to tell myself enough.. and quit fussing.. cause this is not intended to be a show truck... it will be a sharp looking daily driver that will see some mild off road duties as well... So here is the ol girl with a new dress on... once I get her hair n make-up done (trim) she will be looking sweet...

Last edited:

ddaxe

Reaction score
So I finished up the project.. there's still a few minor things to do.. but the bulk of the build is done... only real thing left is get the windshield changed.. get an alignment.. a safety.. put it on the road.. and go have some fun... I have to say I've learned a lot about the inner workings of the GMT 400 series trucks... it's valuable knowledge to have if & when I ever want to do any kind of work to it.... not only that.. this site has been an awesome source when I'd run into something I didn't completely understand. I always found what I was looking for by searching the great threads on whatever it was I needed to know.. and for that. I thanks all of you who have posted the great info
I've had some bemoan me about fuel consumption being it has a 454. I can only sum it up like this... "It's not about miles per gallon... it's about smiles per gallon"

To that end... Tks for following along as the project progressed.... Here's the beast in all its glory... resurrected.. and standing proud... Cheers!!

Last edited: