problem with gibson headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would you use these headers with this mating surface ? You actually feel the scratches with the nail.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 1B26E3F9-E529-40E6-BC47-281CFA2183D1.jpeg
    1B26E3F9-E529-40E6-BC47-281CFA2183D1.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 7

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hit it with a file and use Remflex gaskets.

The look inside those ports is rough. It looks like a five year old ground those welds and then mom didn't come by afterwards to clean them up.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hit it with a file and use Remflex gaskets.

The look inside those ports is rough. It looks like a five year old ground those welds and then mom didn't come by afterwards to clean them up.
And this is a 700$ product by the illustrious Gibson. “Made in Usa” yeah sure… If my oem manifold weren’t cracked I would throw it away.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have done a lot of weird stuff to a lot of machines over the years and it is very rare to buy any aftermarket part that doesn't require metal work before using. I'm not saying that it's right, but that is what I've found.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're 100% graphite and everybody who's used them swears they seal better. I have a set to put on WCJr next time I have the headers loose, but I haven't installed them yet.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
are the Remflex thicker than standard?

The one I put down by the cats was a decent bit thicker. It sealed where a regular gasket couldn't but it took eventually blew out. Those flanges were hella warped though.

And now I have v bands.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And now I have v bands.
The V-band clamps I've used most had stainless-steel studs and nuts. They were good for one tightening. Once tightened, the stainless nut galled the stainless stud. The stud broke during disassembly. Every. Time.

It may be that some anti-seize applied to the stud would have prevented this, but The Bus Company didn't provide us with any, and anti-seize wasn't on the Bill of Materials for this operation.

I always felt sorry for the poor bastage that had to work on that assembly in the future. Those clamps were really expensive.

The V-band clamps I use personally aren't on exhaust systems, they don't have Stainless nuts/studs on them, so they go on and off repeatedly with no problems.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would you use these headers with this mating surface ? You actually feel the scratches with the nail.

YES, I Would Use That Surface - But Use Better Gaskets, the ones that come with headers suck!