Probably a Stupid Transfer case adapter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kczak

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, I've got an '89 Silverado, 4 speed 4x4. It's got the HD cast iron tranny, and a NP 241C TC. I recently did a clutch replacement on it. That was a cluster, but another story, and after putting it all back together, using a paper seal between the transfercase adapter and the transfer case, it of course developed a leak. So I pulled the TC off and cleaned up all the surfaces, and applied a proper RTV seal. Leaked again.
Dumb question is, when I removed it after the paper seal failed, there was a fair amount of gear oil in there, that was just sitting in the TC adapter, like 3/4 a qrt maybe. That shouldn't be the case, right? So probably a bad output shaft seal from the tranny to the adapter or what?

Thanks,

Attachments

• signal-2022-07-18-181512_002.jpeg
    signal-2022-07-18-181512_002.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 4

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, there is no manual tranny output shaft seal. It's supposed to leak past the output bearing.
The t-case has a seal to keep ATC fluid inside. The tranny uses the o-ring between the trans and the mount, and the gasket between the mount and the t-case as the trannys oil seal.
Clean off all the paper and RTV and inspect for damage or extra gasket material that was missed in the previous attempts

kczak

Reaction score
Then wouldn't eventually the whole TC adapter fill with gear oil? I just don't recall when doing the original removal for the clutch job this much gear oil coming out, it was maybe a cup, cup and a half. That was after 20ish years or use. Now after about 50 miles of use, it's at least a full quart.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then wouldn't eventually the whole TC adapter fill with gear oil? I just don't recall when doing the original removal for the clutch job this much gear oil coming out, it was maybe a cup, cup and a half. That was after 20ish years or use. Now after about 50 miles of use, it's at least a full quart.
No, because it drains back with gravity through the bearing when you stop driving.
There's just gonna be a little residual here and there