Pressing brake drops Idle speed a lot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

missouritig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

Working on my 2000 k3500 5.7 4x4

When I press my brake pedal firmly at stop, the idle speed drops a lot. Truck doesnt stall, but this seems to be an obvious issue I can address.

I do not have the hydroboost setup, its the JB8 vacuum boost style.

Is the only option here a vacuum leak? I tried searching old threads but its mainly hydroboost power steering leaks/etc

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's easy, first do you know what a hydro boost looks like.
Open hood what do you see?
Do you know how to decipher RPO codes on glove box?
I'm pretty sure there are no or not many one tons, or K or C 3500's that are NOT hydro boost.
Some days your the bat, and some days your the ball.

missouritig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok im leaning on this being IAC failure as on this engine this is what controls the idle speed based on ECM input of power steering/engine load. Since I have hydroboost, im putting a greater load on the engine when hitting the brakes.

Will do some more testing

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Sounds like you're on the right track. If the brakes start self applying though, your booster is going bad internally. Just went through this on my '97 C3500 CCLB. Had to have booster unit replaced twice, the first part installed in July went bad in a couple of weeks. Argued with the shop, drove the truck till we couldn't and had it towed 3 times, then finally got it to a better shop who properly diagnosed and fixed it. Like a new truck now!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Ok it IS hydroboost. I feel kind if sheepish.

Not leaking ant fluid that I can see.

You must be registered for see images attach
When the seals inside go bad, it'll leak from the bottom of the unit, at the joint between booster unit and master cylinder.

missouritig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a break in the evap line, i rigged a plastic hose over it and will need to get a better fuel resistant piece but this seemed to have an effect on the idle drop.

You must be registered for see images attach