Prep for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zephian

Reaction score
Hello ,
I have a '97 K2500 suburban (7.4l) that I need to get ready to tow my 25ft travel trailer. Trailer is probably under 7k fully loaded. I need to weigh it though.
My tow rig was stolen (06 f250 diesel) and it's not going to bring in enough for a new truck... so I'll use what I got.

Anything I need to be aware of, or check before towing? What gear do I tow in? 3, or D (w/ overdrive - automatic tranny)
I also want this truck to be reliable enough as it's my wifes 'toy' and has sentimental value.

I plan on the following to get her ready

-Replacing rotors and pads with powerstop z36
-new bilstein shocks all around
-redhead steering box (she's sloppy)
-K$N CAI (I have a volant but its not CARB legal)
-Replace fuel pump - It's insanely loud
-Transmission serviced
-need to install brake controller, I had a tekonsha primus in f250 and it was adequate but that's a heavier truck with better brakes (any recommendations?)
-Needs full tuneup

I recently replaced distributor due to no start - the teeth were destroyed on the distributor. 2 oil changes since replacement.

Any tips or recommendations are appreciated. I have never towed with a gas engine so it will take some getting used to not having an exhaust brake.

'97 K2500 suburban 7.4L w/ 150k miles. 33inch tires. Flowmaster muffler but I believe exhaust tubing is stock.

Thank you all for your input!

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this a one time tow or several times? I’d make sure to run a high quality fuel additive through it and maybe put some airbags on it.

Zephian

Reaction score
I'll be putting aside what insurance pays out for a new diesel, but with the chip shortage and COVID right now a new truck may not be obtainable for a couple of years. I try to use my trailer every month, sometimes more often.
With my old truck I wasn't worried about doing longer trips (recently got back from 900 mile trip in to Oregon)

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might do good going and using that insurance to get yourself an 6.6 Duramax or 7.3powerstroke. You’ll definitely be able to pull it with the 454, but gas will be expensive.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I assume a fuel filter is a given when replacing the fuel pump.
Check gear oil, adjust rear brakes too.

Towing with a gasoline engine means not lugging the engine like you would with a diesel.
Manually downshifting the tranny to slow speeds, say downhill... will gain compression braking, not available in a diesel.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be putting aside what insurance pays out for a new diesel, but with the chip shortage and COVID right now a new truck may not be obtainable for a couple of years. I try to use my trailer every month, sometimes more often.
With my old truck I wasn't worried about doing longer trips (recently got back from 900 mile trip in to Oregon)
I’m honestly quite afraid of these new trucks made in 2020-2021. The quality just isn’t there from what I’ve seen. One of the service advisors has a 2020 Silverado (gasser) and it clacks like some old Toyota.

Zephian

Reaction score
My f250 was a 6.0 powerstroke. I got around 10 mpg towing. (A new turbo arrived literally hours after finding out it was stolen, that should have got me back to 13mpg) Gas is cheaper than diesel here and I expect/hope for similar economy.
3/4 and 1 ton trucks are not on lots out here. They're all in transit and sell before they arrive.
I don't know anything about Duramax diesel, but I do like my chevy's. My first truck was a '99 S10.

I''ve always bought a fixer upper, or an old truck that needs a lot more parts replaced. The suburban will be around indefinitely, I already have it, and I have worked my ass off since I've been old enough to work. (yeah yeah, I'm only 30) I owe it to myself to get the truck that I want for a change. I'm tired of wrenching before every big trip. Ill be saving up for a new 6.7 F250 or a newer 2500HD.... Each brand has their own problems so ill go with whichever one I like more when I test drive it. I just need to be patient.....

Plus it will be nice to have the extra seats for taking nephews and the dogs to the lake or the beach for the weekend.

I appreciate the info and suggestions from you all.