Prep for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zephian

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input.
This may be a moot point...it's up to insurance at this point if it's a total loss or repairable. My F250 was found this last weekend and I picked it up from the scene (they were pulled over for no plates)
Interior is gutted, paint is scratched, drugs were found as well as a jar of piss? wtf.

Drive train wise it seems OK though. I can pick n' pull interior and am OK with a rebuilt title if it comes to it. I should know this week. The suburban (Which gave me a CEL today!!!) may just stay a pavement princess :rolleyes:

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My brother had his 96’ powerstroke stolen and it was recovered a few week later. Apparently these guys steal them and use them to run drugs across the border. My dad also had his 99’ powerstroke stolen and recovered for the same reason. But chances are that yours will be completely beat to death suspension wise. My brothers had like $4k in damage. Both had a few extra thousand miles on them

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad actually had a guy that was stealing it in arms length the first time they tried to steal it, but the guy said he had a gun and there was another in a car in the street. 2:00 in the morning and an angry short heavy built white guy with no shirt running around the front yard, I’d have been scared too lolololol

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I consider your Burb an ideal trailer tower, a 3/4 ton with a 454 is great. had an '88 Burb like that, was wonderfull tow-er. I'd forget the new ones and keep the Burb running, replace things as necessary with top of the line stuff. A lot cheaper than new truck payments. i'm currently towing with a 94 k1500 Burb, of course it now has a 383 with headers and dual exhaust. It tows just as good as the old '88. Don't plan to ever replace it. Is in great shape as it was a one owner-always garaged cream puff when i bought it in '16. I don't beat it up but do run it to its capacity. No way could I afford a new $60,000 truck

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve never towed with a gas vehicle. My brother has a Cummins and my mon has a 7.3 excursion and I know what it’s like with those. How is towing with a gas engine?

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And as far as the action of towing, a good weight distribution hitch will make the world of difference. Air bags are definitely a nice addition as well.

^^ This! I also towed my 35' 9500# trailer with a 1995 Burb C2500 (454, 4.10 gears). Even though the stock rear end was very stout, and barely squatted with my trailer attached, the WDH and airbags on my Burb really leveled things nicely and substantially smoothed out the ride. Although your smaller trailer won't have the same tongue weight mine had.

I’ve never towed with a gas vehicle. My brother has a Cummins and my mon has a 7.3 excursion and I know what it’s like with those. How is towing with a gas engine?

The gas towing may feel more sluggish and need to run at higher RPMs, but it's still doing its job. Fuel consumption is a lot worse too, and I doubt you'll see 10mpg towing. I got that amount when just cruising around in my 454, and around 6.5-7mpg towing.

I went the other direction from gas to diesel, swapping my '95 C2500 Suburban for a '05 diesel Silverado dually (6.6L Duramax). The diesel tows with SO much more ease, that I can't see myself ever wanting to go back to gas.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went the other direction from gas to diesel, swapping my '95 C2500 Suburban for a '05 diesel Silverado dually (6.6L Duramax). The diesel tows with SO much more ease, that I can't see myself ever wanting to go back to gas.
oh don't say that! :) i might have to sell the 95 that I've had since 97, since it's my tow rigged.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh don't say that! :) i might have to sell the 95 that I've had since 97, since it's my tow rigged.

Hey I won’t be the one to make any major life decisions for you… ;) Just my experience so far, with my first diesel.

With a small to midsize trailer like the OP described, a gas truck/Burb would do just fine.

jhornsby3

Reaction score
Don't tow with that 4L80E/4l85E trans in OD. It won't lock up properly. Have to do the TCC lock up switch so it will lock in all gears. Just have to remember to turn it off below 35mph. Had a friend smoke his trans towing a small tractor in OD. I did the switch in my 96 diesel pick up and it worked great towing the 29' fifthwheel we had. And towing a 25' Prowler with our 98 Burb K1500 with the 5.7l was no problem all stock. Just tow in 3rd with a WD hitch and all should be good.

I now have a 04 Silverado Duramax K3500 and tow a 13,000lbs boat around. So no WD hitch and surge brakes.