Power windows not getting power after adding push-button start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just installed a push-button start in place of the ignition key and everything works great after also bypassing the stock security system, except that now my power windows do not work anymore :banghead:.

To add the push to start, I cut the ignition harness cables going to the starter switch which are red (power), yellow (starter), pink (ignition 1), orange (accessory) and white (ignition 2). In cutting those and connecting the the new module exactly as instructed.

It seems as if the accessories cable is not getting power to energize the windows circuit but when I push the start button once the truck acts as If had turned the key to the first position, when pushing the start button again it lights up the instrument cluster as if turning the key to the second position and while holding the brake and pushing the button the truck starts just fine.

I tested the fuse panel and there is no power going to the windows circuit. I confirmed this by using a jumper cable to temporarily energize that circuit and I was able to put my windows up.

So now should I reconnect one of the cut cable ends at the old starter switch? If so, which one do I need to reconnect and to what?

I can send photos later if will help describe what I did a little better.
Thanks for any suggestions! :cheers:

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here you can see where I cut the cables going to the ignition switch and I attached the other ends to the push to start module.

You must be registered for see images attach

Powerslayer

Reaction score
Do you have a link to the push button so I could take a look at it? Or better yet just the wiring instructions? Would also like to see all the wires you connected and cut.

Last edited:

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the push button wiring diagram and below that the ignition wiring color guide for my truck.

The wires I cut on my truck are the ones from the ignition harness that goes to the black box under the key cylinder. In the first picture on the post above you can see where I'm holding the end of the wires that I cut.
  • I connected the red wire from my truck to red on the module
  • yellow to yellow
  • orange from the truck to blue on the module
  • pink from the truck to white on the module
  • white from truck to brown to module
  • black to ground

OBS TAHOE WIRING GUIDE

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have a radio right now but the a/c system works fine. I'll test the wipers in the morning and report back.

Powerslayer

Reaction score
Looking at all of my poor quality diagrams, I've found one that shows "hot in run" feeding the power window circuit (30 amp fuse) out to a yellow wire going to the convenience center which powers everything.

What I would do is check for continuity between the ignition switch wires and the power window fuse and find which wire feeds it. Is the brown at the ignition switch also an acc supply? Can't remember

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Is the brown at the ignition switch also an acc supply? Can't remember

The brown wire from the ignition switch is on in acc and run as you say. That is the wire that feeds the 30A circuit breaker to the power windows, the fuse for the wipers, and the fuse for the radio. It appears it may not be connected to the the new ignition switch and needs to be hooked up to an acc output on it. hope the OP reports back.

Powerslayer

Reaction score
The brown wire from the ignition switch is on in acc and run as you say. That is the wire that feeds the 30A circuit breaker to the power windows, the fuse for the wipers, and the fuse for the radio. It appears it may not be connected to the the new ignition switch and needs to be hooked up to an acc output on it. hope the OP reports back.
Thanks for confirming delta. Should be easy enough to just cut the brown in the harness and wire it with either the orange connection (the one I would choose) or the ignition 2 connection. Interested in knowing if this solves your problem OP.